Talk

Advanced search

What age for Spiderwick Chronicles?

(9 Posts)
lovecheese Tue 03-May-11 09:47:42

Good offer at Amazon on these at the moment. Have 2 DD's, 10 and 7, both very keen readers. Anyone elses DC read them?

SandStorm Tue 03-May-11 19:06:28

I'm just working my way through them with a group of year 5s. I suspect your 10 year will whizz through them and your 7 year old, depending on her ability, may need a bit of help but not much.

Just be warned the film is actually of the first three books, not just the first one.

I enjoyed them and so did the children I work with.

SandStorm Tue 03-May-11 19:10:43

Just realised I'm talking absolute rubbish - got confused with A Series of Unfortunate Events. Please ignore me blush

lovecheese Tue 03-May-11 19:14:00

'tis OK. Do you mean the Lemony Snicket books in your second post? Are they good too grin and suitable for both ages? The seven year-old reads much of what the older one does (much to the 10 year-olds horror wink)

Takver Tue 03-May-11 21:27:52

Are they the ones with fairies? If so I would have thought they'd be fine for 7 y/o and 10 y/o. If they're the ones I'm thinking of they are very short though - wide text spacing and big margins - and really could have been one book not 5 or 7 or whatever it is, so they ought to be cheap grin

SandStorm Wed 04-May-11 20:19:52

Yes - I meant the Lemony Snicket books and yes, they are good. I've enjoyed them as much as the children I've been reading them with.

perfectstorm Sat 28-May-11 15:21:38

Lemony Snicket is head and shoulders above Spiderwick IMO. They're beautifully written and the allusions etc work for adults on another level, which I think is great. I bought a boxed set off the lot from Book People for peanuts, too! Maybe they still have them?

BarkisIsWilling Sat 28-May-11 16:12:06

My daughter read the series either aged 9 or 10. She enjoyed the books, but would sooner recommend the Fire Thief series.

libbylobs Fri 03-Jun-11 15:29:06

mt little 6 year old loves spiderwick we read them together.x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: