If you have a history of high birthweight babies will a consultant consider options other than spontaneous VB?(8 Posts)
DD (first baby) was 9 pounds 11, born just after due date.
Am pg with DC2 and very worried about having another big baby. I know lots of people on here say that size (weight) doesn't matter, it's head size that's important (she had a massive head too) but am interested in whether a consultant is likely to be able to offer me any options other than just going through another Vb.
Had ventouse and forceps with DD and don't ever want forceps near me ever again. Do consultants generally consider c-section or early induction in these circs, or would they just expect me to get on with it?
(I am well aware of the risks, drawbacks, recvery etc relating to c-sec and potential drawbacks to inducing early but really just want to know whether a consultant is even likely to consider these)
A consultant will definitely help you consider the options.
DS1 was born 8lb 14oz and made no progress once i was fully dilated. There were lots of issues including Group B strep infection and foetal distress and the cord restricting him and resulting in an emergency c-section.
When i was pregant with DS2 the consultant sent me for a scan to estimate his weight. He was estimated to already be 9.5 pounds with 2 weeks to go. This was an influence on his decision to not allow me to try for a natural birth. (or at least advised against it).
I think they will take it into account but in my case there were other risk factors.
FWIW the scan wasn't accurate and DS2 was born only 7.5 pounds.
Having once given birth vaginally, your body 'knows' what to do. The chances are that, given the opportunity, you will be able to give birth vaginally again, and quite possibly more easily.
Being active, upright, and relaxed are all things that will help you. I'm sure you know all of this already!
FWIW, my babies were 8lb10, 9lb3, and 11lbs. Each labour was shorter than the previous one, and each birth was easier.
With dc3, there were worries that he would be very big, but there was never any mention of CS. The only thing was that my consultant wanted me to give birth in hospital, in case I needed help. Even so, she eventually signed me off for homebirth.
Having successfully done it before really does make a difference, and there's no guarantee that dc2 will also have a big head.
DS1 was 9.10 and delivered by em-cs due to labour not progressing. i planned a vbac with ds2 but ended up with an elective cs as i didn't go into labour and was overdue and my hospital tend not to induce you when you have had a section. However, both the two consultants i saw and the midwife consultant said that the size of the baby was not of particular concern, other than that they recommeded a gtt test to rule out gestational diabetes. Elec c-s was not offered as an option even with a large baby and a previous cs - it was only after i was overdue that this was advised. So i would think it would be unlikely it would be offered as an option.
I think it really depends on your Consultants personal opinion and experience as to what they recommend.
If I were you I would research the statistics yourself rather than take a Consultants word on it.
For example are you more likely to have an intrumental delivery as a result of induction rather than because of the size of the baby?
What are the risks to the baby if you have an early delivery?
If you have sizing scans are they reliable? Do you have to have a series of scans to get a more accurate picture of growth?
Maybe wait for spontaneous labour and then if the signs are you are heading towards an instrumental birth, agree with the Consultant that you have a csection instead?
I had an emerg c-section with ds1 (9lb 3oz) and had a home waterbirth with ds2 (9lb 11oz). I truly believe that a being in water, a good labour and birthing position and self belief helped me achieve my vbac.
Don't be ruled by fear. Read up on birthing big babies. Be informed, don't take other people's word for it (and I include myself in that.)
Having researched this subject a lot I really do think a high birthweight is blamed on far too many things. If you look at the flip side there is often a counter pov.
I feel I must mention I have absolutely no desire to have a natural birth anyway, so I don't need reassurance that on that front!
My DS1 was 10lb14oz and I never made any further progress after 6cm dilation. After 24 hours of labour, he came out by EMCS.
After a long chat with my consultant, I have just opted to have DS2 by ELCS and they are fine with it. I would have preferred a VBAC but I'm just too scared that I'll have a repeat of my first experience where DS1 got distressed and his heartbeat dropped.
By the way, I'm on target to have another whopper which was a big factor in choosing an ELCS as I am also scared of serious internal damage.
Good luck, make the decision for you and the baby, not for hospital targets or the opinions of others.xxx
They are not supposed to induced early for the sole reason of a suspected big baby, it is also unlikely that you would be offered a cs as you have successfully given birth vaginally previously. Saying that, there's no harm in asking and they might take into account your anxiety about having a natural birth and be a bit more flexible, IME it varies greatly depending on which area you are in. Good luck
Oh BTW ... I know you don't need reassurance, but for what it's worth...
dd1 8lb4oz - Ventouse, episiostomy, synoticin drip, threatened cs.
ds 10lb6oz - easy, quick, small tear, no stitches
dd2 9lb - very easy, quick, no tears.
Second births tend to be alot easier, regardless of size as your body has done it all before and seems to cope alot better.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.