Advanced search

would i be entitled to NHS treatment??

(9 Posts)
madremia09 Wed 22-Jul-09 16:26:36

im sorry for posting on here when i probably should have posted on the living overseas board but i never get any response on it as not many people use it.I have a dilema.I live in Spain and have done for last 6 years.I have a dd3 and i am 18 weeks pregnant with dc2.

we have wanted to return to the uk for a while but decided we would only do it if DP had an offer of a job.

He has just rec a phone call to say he has been shortlisted to 3 and to come back next week for an interview.great! buuuut...

if he gets the job we will be moving back within a couple of weeks, where would i stand with regards to healthcare if ive been out the country so long?im a bit panicky now!

could not afford at the moment to go private.I would fully understand if i wasnt entitled to NHS but what could i do?

thanks for reading!x

sarah293 Wed 22-Jul-09 16:42:19

Message withdrawn

louii Wed 22-Jul-09 16:43:38

If you are from the UK then of course you can use the NHS.

Sickofbloodyswineflu Wed 22-Jul-09 16:47:43

You would be entitled to NHS care if you are a british citizen, regardless of where you've lived for the last few years. Even if you are spanish we have a reciprocal agreement with most european countries staing we would treat you and then bill Spain (or other country)

The beauty of our healthcare system is that we very rarel turn down anyone in need....also our big downfall grin

Good luck with the baby x

pinkmagic1 Wed 22-Jul-09 16:59:04

If you are an EU national and relocate to the UK you will be entitled to treatment on the NHS.

geekgirl Wed 22-Jul-09 17:11:15

if you are an EU citizen you are entitled to NHS care. I am German and all I had to do was register with a GP like everyone does when they move to a different area.

Wish it was as simple in other EU countries...

madremia09 Wed 22-Jul-09 19:55:32

oh thats fab news thanks everyone....i am english btw and hold english passport! yippeeee!!grin

wrigglershouse Sat 25-Jul-09 11:52:45

You will be entitled to NHS treatment as long as you have moved here. If you are still "living" in Spain a come back for a holiday you will be entitled via the reciprocal agreement so Spain will be charged and if you have to pay in Spain they will then charge you if you see what I mean.

But from your post it sounds as though you would be moving permanently in which case you would be fully entitled as soon as you move back.

caci Sat 01-Aug-09 17:12:05

NHS entitlement is not about being an UK citizen, it's about being resident here. If you are living here - in your case as you will have moved here- all you need to do is to register with a GP asap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: