Talk

Advanced search

Expected to have a "big" baby

(47 Posts)
m4rdybum Wed 19-Dec-18 20:40:30

Had to go for a growth scan this week as my bump measurement was small. Fast forward to the scan and actually, DD is massive - or at least about the 90th centile. (Hate the bump measurements - never right hmm)

I have to go for a glucose test later on in the week, then onto the midwife assessment unit to discuss a care plan going forward with the consultant, dependent on what my blood test results say. I haven't had any previous signs of gestational diabetes.

It's all a bit up in the air until that assessment happens but just wanted to hear some stories of those who were expected to have/did have a "big" baby.

I'm a FTM so all new to me.

I'm relatively blase about the whole labour thing (In the fact I know it's gonna hurt/birth plans often go out of the window/I need to see how I get on) but one thing I'm wary of is forceps.

I know that if they have to be used and I'm already in labour, it's for the good of me and the baby, but I also wonder if there's any grounding for requesting an ELCS if they think there's a high risk of forceps being used? Is there any assessment of this beforehand? And yes, I know a c-section comes with it's own set of risks and recuperation - but I really can't get past my feelings on forceps.

I'm 36+5.

OP’s posts: |
mineofuselessinformation Wed 19-Dec-18 20:47:01

The thing is, you will never know how big a baby you can give birth to vaginally until the time.
I had quite big babies (8lb 13 oz and then 9lb). Other women have had much bigger babies with no problems, some have problems with smaller babies.

mineofuselessinformation Wed 19-Dec-18 20:48:36

Bugger, pressed post by mistake....
So, unless your baby is very large, you may well be worrying unnecessarily.
I know that doesn't help you right now - wait and see what the next scan says.
Good luck.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Wed 19-Dec-18 20:50:08

I had no clue I was going to have a big baby, I was 21 and ds was 10lb 1oz and a home birth.

My subsequent babies were big too but horn at earlier gestation so slightly smaller birth weights.

No problems with labour or delivery but I did end up with a birth injury which needed surgery.

MrsRhettButler Wed 19-Dec-18 20:51:17

Dd1 was 8.9 and Dd2 was 9.7 so big but not humongous.

Dd2 slid right out and didn't even hurt (other than the contraction pain)

MrsRhettButler Wed 19-Dec-18 20:52:21

Sorry, meant to say Dd1 at 8.9 was a longer labour but no birth injuries with either of them.

Insertwitticismhere Wed 19-Dec-18 20:52:42

My youngest was 11lb 7oz! Much easier birth & quicker recovery than my first who was 3lb lighter! No gestational diabetes baby was just v well plumbed in! (Also only just average size now)

Jackshouse Wed 19-Dec-18 20:53:50

You don’t need grounds to request an elcs. Growth scan are notoriously inaccurate so don’t panic.

WatchingTheWheels85 Wed 19-Dec-18 20:54:00

I had a larger baby 10lb 7 two weeks early. I had an emcs though because I had polyhydramnios and my waters went I ended up with an infection and my heart rate was at 170. My 3rd was born 9lb 8, easy straightforward labour. Two pushes and she was born with not even a graze!

BikeRunSki Wed 19-Dec-18 20:54:32

My MW reckoned on DS bribgbover 11lb.
He was 7lb 10oz. 91st centile for height (and 10 yrs later still is), but skinny as s beanpole (still is).

I guess she estimated his weight from his length, but didn’t factor in his skinny ness.

Curlypop Wed 19-Dec-18 20:54:45

I had a 9lb 9oz baby - ended up with forceps. All went ok but I'm worried about this next one being even bigger too. But not much we can do

Isitweekendyet Wed 19-Dec-18 20:55:08

All 10lb 2oz of DS walked out - the enormous little beggar!

He wasn't huge just incredibly long! He was 91st for height too.

He eventually evened out and is tall and slim at nearly three.

We had a number of complications following is birth, however, none due to his size.

I do have terrible back problems that the doctor thinks is from being so bloody pregnant!

Hobbes8 Wed 19-Dec-18 20:58:49

I was told my daughter was top of the growth charts at a scan at 36 weeks. She was delivered naturally 3 days late and weighed a totally average 7lb 1oz.

It’s an anxious time but try not to worry.

HJWT Wed 19-Dec-18 20:59:45

I would TAKE every measurement scan or not with a pinch of salt!! They told me DD was 6LB.... a week later she came out 8LB 9!!! Good job I didn't take newborn clothes with me 🥵

Careylisa Wed 19-Dec-18 21:02:07

My MW also told me at about three weeks before dd that DD was going to be 9lb ++. She was a few days overdue and 5lb 12oz!
Again I think this was due to measuring her length and she was fairly long.

Littlemissdaredevil Wed 19-Dec-18 21:18:27

Dd was measuring on the 90th my whole pregnancy including a scan at 32weeks. DD arrived at 38 weeks weighing 6.7lbs. I think if I had gone to 40w she would have been a very average 7/7.5lbs

Rosehip345 Wed 19-Dec-18 21:20:50

Biggest baby was the least painful 😁 I thank gravity 👍

randomsabreuse Wed 19-Dec-18 21:27:07

I was measuring large with my 2nd (scans), and was induced at 38 +3. Baby was 8lbs (lighter than predicted but long) at that point and needed a ventouse/epesiotomy which was fine. Preferable to ventouse/tear with my first anyway.

MrsPworkingmummy Wed 19-Dec-18 21:30:04

Take it with a pinch of salt. I was measuring on the 100th centile and was terrified I'd birth a whopper. My bump was ginormous too. My son was born weighing 7lb 14oz so not massive by any means...just a gorgeous, healthy, bouncing baby grin

Stitchosaurus Wed 19-Dec-18 21:30:33

Did they give you measurements for each body part? 10lb DS’s head was beyond the 100 percentile...funnily enough, I had to have a CS! The rest of him was a normal size but that giant melon head was going nowhere!

So if the head is measuring big, it might be worth talking to your dr about it.

DraculaAD1972 Wed 19-Dec-18 21:34:09

I had an 11lb baby. His Labour was so easy and quick compared to my 9lb eldest.

mnahmnah Wed 19-Dec-18 21:34:21

My second was 10lb 11oz! Nobody was expecting that! Bump measured spot on throughout. Straight forward vaginal delivery, no issues. So big baby does not necessarily mean difficulties or needing a c-section

mrsjackrussell Wed 19-Dec-18 21:41:39

I wouldn't worry too much. I was told I was going to have an 'eye waterer' by my GP and my son was only 7.15.

ThankyouwitharecaptalR Wed 19-Dec-18 21:42:24

I had several growth scans as I was consultant led (high bmi), baby measured big at each scan but was in proportion and followed the same growth line/ arc. I also had the gestational diabetes test which was fine. I was initially of the opinion that a vaginal birth would be fine but at the last scan they predicted the baby to be 10lbs by 40weeks which was the hospitals trigger to offer an ELCS and coupled with my worry of shoulder dystocia and forceps I chose the section. Baby was born at 9lb2 so not quite as big as expected, but what I hadn't realised, or thought of, was how long she was and still is. The section was fantastic and definitely the right choice for me.

froufroulala Wed 19-Dec-18 21:46:46

I was told repeatedy my baby would be of average size. 11lb 3oz, 59cms she arrived. Vaginal delivery.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in