Talk

Advanced search

EMCS and second pregnancy

(10 Posts)
spnfan Mon 20-Feb-17 12:57:16

Hello!

So my DD is now 14 months old and was born via and EMCS. DH and I are beginning to think about having another with a rough idea of thinking of starting trying at the end of the year.

This has inevitably got me thinking about the birth! Last time was traumatic for me but on paper wouldn't be classed as such. (brow presentation which wasn't noticed so I was pushing for three hours when I eventually went into shock and they realised - an hour later I was in surgery.) So I'm weighing up VBAC vs ELCS. I very much flip flop between the two. even though Im not even pregnant yet and really don't have that decision to make!

So I guess I have a couple of questions that I thought mumsnetters would know. smile

1) is it correct that I am now classed as high risk due to the previous c section (despite a very easy pregnancy last time).

2) is it also correct that due to the previous section I can't be chemically induced?

Thank you!

BingBongBingBong Mon 20-Feb-17 13:02:17

1. Yes you would be high risk
2. You can be chemically induced, yes. Not always but you can be.

I had my DD 22months after I had DS by an EMCS. Very traumatic so I went for an ELCS as I just could not, for my mental health, risk another EMCS. I found the doctors and midwives very supportive of my choice and feel they would have been very supportive of a VBAC. So whatever you decide will be fine. I decided very early on I wanted an EMCS but you don't need to make a decision til fairly late on to give you lots of time to think about it.

BingBongBingBong Mon 20-Feb-17 13:02:54

That should say I decided very early on I wanted an ELCS!

hootatoot Mon 20-Feb-17 13:05:50

Hi, I'm pregnant with my second after emcs with first. Yes, you will be consultant led rather than midwife led (which doesn't mean much, you see a consultant at 16 wks and 36 wks instead of mw and they talk you through your options supposedly though mine didn't he just high fived me when I said I wanted vbac!) and apparently they don't chemically induce using a drip as it causes the uterus to contract too violently which can rupture scar tissue.

Deadsouls Mon 20-Feb-17 13:08:33

Yes you will be considered high risk. And I was told that I couldn't have chemical induction. But that could've been down to the particular hospital.
I had EMCS and then elective. ELCS was very calm and went smoothly.

Mumchatting Mon 20-Feb-17 13:14:56

You will be having a choice.
I had EMCS with my first and was encouraged to try vbac second time. I was hoping for a vbac but things went really bad and my spontaneous labour turned into crash section. I'm 3 weeks postpartum and still recovering and just wish I had had elective cesarean rather than trying for vbac. It's your choice at the end, they can't force you. Read about the risks and benefits of both options and make an informed decision.

emsyj37 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:12:02

You can decline consultant led care if you choose to. I did. My reasons for emcs first time around were baby-related (severe foetal distress) and therefore not likely to recur. I elected for midwife led care and went on to have a straightforward home VBAC followed by another straightforward home VBAC with my third baby at the end of last year. If you think you may want a VBAC then it is useful to discuss the reasons for your section with your midwife and ask whether they are likely to happen again and what effect this might have on your birth choice.

spnfan Mon 20-Feb-17 19:06:12

Thank you all for your replies. It's really helpful to hear anecdotes from real life people!

Mumchatting I'm sorry to hear that - I hope your recovery is speedy. flowers

I am glad to hear that the chance of a chemical induction will be slim since I'm pretty sure it was being induced that cocked it all up last time.

Emsyj that's really exciting to hear... If I decide to go VBAC it will be at home. Did you have to have an independent midwife or doula? Or were your local midwives happy to support a home birth VBAC?

emsyj37 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:52:38

I used One to One Midwives so NHS provision by a private company. With my first VBAC I was freely offered a home birth but with my second I had to sign a form to say that I was aware of the risks etc. I am ten mins from a large maternity hospital and was happy with the level of risk involved in choosing a home birth with intermittent monitoring rather than continuous monitoring. I had the same midwife both times and I had 100% faith in her advice and expertise.

Shootingstar2289 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:44:21

A vaginal birth after a previous c-section is higher risk and requires more monitoring during labour, but often consultants are keen for suitable ladies to try for a VBAC, depending on your reasons for a section the first time.

I had a c-section after a failed induction with my first. With my second, I really wanted a natural birth but was told I could not be induced due to higher risks. The consultant agreed I could try for a VBAC but if I didn't start on my own, I would have another section. I wouldn't want to be induced after the horrific experience with my son so I was glad of that. I was given a elective section date ten days after my due date. I never went into labour c-section it was smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now