Talk

Advanced search

Mobile Phone in hospital

(24 Posts)
Kittymum03 Tue 11-Oct-16 15:36:36

Hi. My Second baby's due soon and i'm under Consultant care and will be stuck in the hospital attached to the monitor as soon as I get there (They don't have wireless monitor's either so attached to the bed) I was just reading up on thing's like packing my bag when I came across

'No mobile phones can be used and you are not permitted to charge a mobile phone on the hospital premisis'

I'm now panicking a little (alot, really) about being so isolated from the outside world.
Is this a normal thing in labour now? Or just my hospital? I'm thinking it must be very new or very rare due to the live birth thread's we get on here!

I have a 3 year old and hate the thought of no contact for however long I'm in hospital, last time I was in for a night before birth by myself and 2 night's after, and think i'm going to feel very lonely if I can't even send a txt or look on here/ read the new's, some sort of normality! I was also planning to use my Phone for music during labour.

Sorry, I know, first world problem etc. I'm not on my Phone 24/7, honestly, it's just I (still) have very sad memories of my Son's birth with regard's struggling massively to B/F and just feeling completely overwhelmed & alone on the night times, and I don't want that worsened by not even being able to send a txt to see if my Son is ok etc.

DefinitelyNotRuth Tue 11-Oct-16 15:42:48

I had the same thing in my info but I still took my phone and charged it. I don't think anyone cares. All of the midwives had their phones in their pockets anyway!

reallybadidea Tue 11-Oct-16 15:44:00

It's fair enough that they don't want you to charge your phone because it's not been safety checked so could potentially a fire risk although we all charge our phones at work You can buy mobile charging devices cheaply though which are basically batteries to charge your phone from.

It's utter crap that phones can interfere with equipment though. However it may be that the hospital is still persisting with this myth so best to check with your midwife or someone who's given birth recently.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 11-Oct-16 15:46:37

Everyone and all their visitors will be continuously on their mobile phones. It might be against the rules but the staff don't have the time, inclination or energy to fight that battle.

Kittymum03 Tue 11-Oct-16 15:49:08

Thank's for your replies. When I was in before they took the charger (everyone on the ward, not just mine) for 10/15 minutes and bought them back having tested them with a nice Green sticker on them.

It say's it's due to privacy which I can understand with call's, constant phone beeping and I wouldn't do those anyway, but a ban completely seem's a bit much!

I could ask my MW but i'm not actually due to see her anymore. I have Consultant next week and could ask then.. Would probably feel too silly to mention it though!

PonkAlert Tue 11-Oct-16 15:54:44

Please don't feel that it would be silly to mention it. Thinks like this might seem small but they can have a big impact on your mental health and general wellbeing at a very vulnerable time. I'm sure they'll be happy to clarify the rules, both the "official" policy and what actually happens day to day. I'm sure that most people will use and charge their phones unchallenged unless they are being particularly disruptive to other patients.

Kittymum03 Tue 11-Oct-16 15:58:08

Thank's Ponk. This is just another thing for me to panic about.

I am One of those people, when everybody say's 'Oh no one ever get's caught, told off etc..' I'M the only One to get told off grin

2014newme Tue 11-Oct-16 15:59:36

I was in hospital for a month with my babies used my phone all the time

Ilikegin Tue 11-Oct-16 16:05:56

I was in recently for a week with no wifi, it was a struggle as had to purchase extra data and keep my usage to a minimum, there were signs up saying not to charge but i ignored them and no one ever said a word! Don't worry I'm sure you will be fine!

Obliviated Tue 11-Oct-16 16:08:37

When I gave birth recently most people had their phones connected to the TV to charge via USB.

Mar15mite Tue 11-Oct-16 16:11:58

Recently had DS and there were signs all over the ward saying no phones or chargers, no one paid any attention (including myself) don't worry. Good luck x

Kittymum03 Tue 11-Oct-16 16:13:51

Thank's. I hadn't thought of the possibly no WiFi point.
I'm sure I will be fine i'm worried about leaving my (big) baby more than anything as if it happen's overnight he will be with a Childminder and, you just worry, leaving them don't you. Especially if I can't contact / they can't contact me.

Spam88 Tue 11-Oct-16 16:17:10

Department of Health guidance is (and has been for years) that people should be allowed to use mobile phones in hospitals. Only in those specific areas where there is equipment that may be interfered with should phone use be prohibited. So it's a bit disappointing to see hospitals still pushing the no phones rule sad

PerspicaciaTick Tue 11-Oct-16 16:21:14

BTW, I'm sure your consultant is lovely but can't help thinking that they won't have a clue about mobile phone usage policy on the wards. You may find that they can't give you a straight answer.

Kittymum03 Tue 11-Oct-16 16:22:34

I can't remember seing it written that they weren't allowed when I had my Son, and I went in since then overnight for an ectopic and nothing was said about Phones. It just threw me a bit that this might be a 'new thing'

Kittymum03 Tue 11-Oct-16 16:24:02

I havn't met her yet! The One I originally had was very stern and to the point, but aparantly this one's 'Very kind'

Kittymum03 Mon 24-Oct-16 13:38:46

Just thought I'd add to this, I had to go in and be checked over the other day, and right next to the bed is a sheet saying about using Mobile's and WiFi. So it is fine. So I was worrying for nothing!
Annoyed at the website for stressing me out but still, all ok now!

Kitten3 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:42:29

All I remember is the mum next to me talking all through the f***ing night with her relatives/friends on the phone. Our curtains were drawn, so perhaps she didn't really consider the impact on my sleep.
I couldn't bring myself to say anything to her, but this time
I am prepared!

FinallyHere Thu 27-Oct-16 21:46:19

It might be worth getting an extra long cable to charge, incase the socket is not very conveniently placed. All the best.

Artandco Thu 27-Oct-16 21:47:42

Get one of those battery phone chargers. W heave one you charge from mains, then it charges your phone three times from it ( couple of days charge depending on usuage). They are about £10 on amazon

Artandco Thu 27-Oct-16 21:50:06

Like one of these

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005QI1A8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477601285&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=phone+charger+portable&dpPl=1&dpID=31dIoNXE6GL&ref=plSrch

Kittymum03 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:50:37

Thank's Kitten (Similar name!) I know it's easy to say, but I won't be talking on my phone, I wanted it for txting and pictures of my Son mainly (and a look on here if I can't sleep)
Last time I had One hurried phone call to my mum just after 9, when she knew my partner had to leave.. I desperately hissed 'I can't talk i'm on a WARD. You'l have to txt me!' After, literally, 8 missed call's by 9.05!

Artandco Thu 27-Oct-16 21:51:13

Although this is what you want ideally

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01422TC14/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1477601422&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=phone+charger+portable&dpPl=1&dpID=41bl2VLPPPL&ref=plSrch

Kittymum03 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:54:50

Sorry missed the other replie's.
We actually have One of those, but I was more concerned if I tried to use it and some matronly type came and confiscated it grin
I am a worrier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now