VBACS from failure to dilate

(7 Posts)
hhhpatriciae Tue 01-Mar-16 15:54:48

Hi, I’m wondering if I’m the only odd duck who went through this and if any of you can shed some light in what’s to come with baby #2.
I had a healthy pregnancy with baby #1 and never contemplated having a CS. However, at 39 weeks I started having strong contractions back to back for about 30+ hours. About 20 of those hours I stayed at home. I had a doula and was confident that my body was doing what it needed. When we head to the hospital I was told I was only 1cm dilated. After having contractions for almost 24 h I opted for the epidural to rest before pushing. I got Pitocin twice, they broke my water and the baby had already pooped inside. I started having fever. Still, 1 cm dilated. An EMCS finally place my baby in my arms.
Now, I’m expecting baby #2 scheduled to be born Sep 2016, less than 2 years after baby #1. My doctor is open to try VBAC but she also said that I’m at risk for: 1 not dilating again; 2 rupture of my uterus if contractions are too strong, risking baby and me.
Have any of you had this experience? Similar?
I’m trying not to panic and make an informed decision…

MrsBenWyatt Tue 01-Mar-16 18:22:38

I have not had the same experience, but from what I understand, VBACS are most successful when the mother has already laboured, or at least fully dilated (not to say that yours would not be successful).

I have had one 'normal' delivery, followed by a crash EMCS, and I have chosen to have an ELCS for this DC (tomorrow shock).

Because I have already had a section, I feel that I don't want to risk scar rupture or having to have a EMCS. I would prefer the element of control that comes with an elective, but of course this is a very personal decision. If I were you, and had failed to dilate before, I would go for section, but that is just my view.

Also, because of previous section, I cannot be induced, and I did not want to risk going over EDD because of the circumstances surrounding crash section last time (compete placental abruption).

I must admit I found it very satisfying to put a date on the calendar and know that baby would be here by then!

megletthesecond Tue 01-Mar-16 21:05:19

I had this. It was caused by cell removal after bad smear tests, despite contractions my cervix would not dilate and I had an EMCS. Have you had any treatment on your cervix that may have scarred it?

Personally I was lucky that me and my gynae consultant both wanted a planned cs for dc2 so we went down that route. For me it would have been dangerous to risk a vb. And like mrsben it can be quite comforting to have the date pencilled in and time to prepare for an elcs.

mrsben all the best for tomorrow. Here's hoping no pesky EMCS's jump the queue. grin .

MrsBenWyatt Tue 01-Mar-16 22:15:33

Thanks, Meglet. They run two theatres for sections at my hospital - one for ELCS and one for EMCS, so I have been assured that won't happen (fingers crossed)! grin

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 01-Mar-16 23:08:44

Very similar to my experience with DS. I'm now expecting DS2 and am thinking at the moment to try for a VBAC. The reason I didn't dilate was that my DS was presenting incorrectly (brow presentation), and so my cervix wasn't thinning and dilating as it would with proper presentation. It could happen again, but equally it may not. I'd like to try and see what happens.

Littleoakhorn Wed 02-Mar-16 03:50:16

I'm just feeding my little vbac success. My first labour was very similar to yours op. With my second I also was slow to progress but I was well supported by my midwife and eventually given a mobile epidural and syntocin. I do not live in the UK though. I'd investigate all the options send facilities available to you for labour as they can make such a difference.

Suzietwo Wed 02-Mar-16 22:52:35

I have had two inductions followed by long labours and no progression resulting in c sections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now