Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Early induction??

(12 Posts)
krich88 Thu 05-Nov-15 17:57:56

Hi,

I am currently 40+6 with a comfortable baby that doesn't want to come. First baby, normal pregnancy, no real health issues.

I had a sweep at 39 weeks that resulted in a few cramps but nothing much.
Had a repeat sweep at 40+3 which started pains. This was Monday and I've been in 'latent phase' since then. Monday I had 9 hours of tightenings, Tuesday 6 hours and Wednesday over 11 hours, all quite strong but not getting any closer together (about 6 mins apart). Had my show but waters not gone.

At this point on Wednesday I was fed up, exhausted and went to labour suite to be assessed. I was told my cervix was 2cm and not fully effaced (similar to my sweep at 40+3) and at this point I broke down due to how I was feeling.

The midwife discussed me with the Doctors and they agreed to induce me at 41 weeks (term + 7) which is tomorrow!

Now, having had more sleep last night and thinking a little more rationally I'm not sure whether to go ahead with it or not. I'm unsure whether to try and hold off for a few more days, let my body continue to have odd tightenings (nothing like they were) and see if things can happen naturally.

I had had a plan for a natural, mobile, aromatherapy style birth and I know that it's just that...A PLAN, and birth cannot be planned... But am I jumping ahead too soon? Should I wait until Wednesday (term+12) to have induction IF I need it?

I had a bad experience in hospital last year (not pregnancy related), and I'm a nurse, so I have lots of things whirring around in my head.

Has anyone got any experiences of induction at term+ and how did it go?
Please comment with how many days over you were, what your induction entailed (break waters, pessary, drip etc) and what the outcome was please.

Just need some experiences to help me decide whether to go for it or wait!

Thank you in advance xxx

TremoloGreen Thu 05-Nov-15 18:52:45

I decided to wait. I was in latent stage for a week! Spontaneous delivery at 40+11 - 12 hour labour, straightforward physiological birth with no need for analgesia. Had had enough practice with all the contractions!

The pre-labour is no fun. My advice is rest as much as you can, relax and don't start getting obsessed about your cervix! Your cervix may change quickly all at once. Two days before I went into labour, the midwife couldn't even reach my cervix to do a sweep. Having a show is a good sign, the contractions are a good sign.

If you want to wait, wait. They will explain the benefits and risks of doing this to you, although they may get antsy around 40+10. In my case, the risks of waiting were very low.

ACatCalledFang Thu 05-Nov-15 21:55:45

Induced at term + 12 via propess pessary (which got me from closed cervix to 1.5 cm dilated), breaking of waters and nine hours of the drip, five of which were at max strength.

I never dilated past 2 cm and was offered choice of EMCS or an additional seven hours of the drip. By this point, I was reasonably confident baby wasn't budging and went for the CS. No regrets!

Oh, and this was my first pregnancy (all straightforward). You're already more dilated than I ever was, so you may go into labour naturally; if you choose induction, you may not need much. For what it's worth, my baby was a good size (8 lbs 8 oz) and I suspect he was too big, or badly positioned, in relation to my pelvis (I'm quite small).

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 05-Nov-15 22:02:56

I am not agreeing to induction due to the fact that it's more likely than not to lead to an emergency section - worst if both world's then

If I don't go into labour naturally next week, I intend to ask for an elective section at 40+10

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 05-Nov-15 22:05:03

Sorry - pressed post too soon

I wouldn't ask for an induction if I were you - I'd ask for an ELCS so you know you have an end date in sight and then relax in the interim. I think it's more likely than not that you will go into labour

WiIdfire Thu 05-Nov-15 22:05:08

Induced at 40+12 as no sign of anything happening. Pessary placed, went from nothing to 60 seconds of contraction every 2 minutes with no painfree interval -> pessary removed! Calmed down somewhat overnight, continued to progress and dilate the next day, drip started at 7cm the following evening and waters had to be broken manually. I asked for an epidural before the drip and that was lovely. Baby finally delivered by Kiwi (like Ventouse) after 42hours labour.

Downsides: (not all due to induction though) had to labour on the ward which was a bit rubbish and public, not able to use the midwife led centre, not allowed in the pool, not allowed to get off the bed (because of the epiduaral and need for monitoring, so indirectly due to the induction).

Upsides: baby was 11lb 2oz, if I hadnt been induced, who knows how big he would have got! Pain relief immediately available (and made use of) on the ward. Successful delivery I guess, with no perineal tearing, no c-section and healthy baby. Difficult to say what outcome would have been if I had not been induced of course.

WiIdfire Thu 05-Nov-15 22:07:25

Also, downsides: flipping painful. Interested to know if it was due to the induction or of Im a bit of a wimp. Never will know unless I have another non-induced one!

carrielou2007 Fri 06-Nov-15 13:30:22

I was induced with all three of my dc, all at 40 +12 though dc1 didn't arrive until 3 days later, the other two 3 hours later!! All 3 had anterior placenta, all 3 back to back, first two born face up and big babies, dc3 was EMCS. Hope your're not waiting too long to meet your baby smile

ihearttea Fri 06-Nov-15 13:41:26

I gave in and agreed to induction at 40+12 after several sweeps did nothing. I started contracting a couple of hours after the propess pessary went in and had my waters broken once I was dilated enough to do so. I was able to stay mobile for most of labour but baby was back to back so I had an epidural once I got too tired and sore.

I don't regret having an induction at all, I got away with a tiny graze and the recovery was fine.
Hope you're doing ok and have newborn snuggles in no time!

DinoSnores Fri 06-Nov-15 13:57:53

"I am not agreeing to induction due to the fact that it's more likely than not to lead to an emergency section - worst if both world's then "

That's not the case though. Induction after 41 weeks is actually associated with a lower risk of a C section surprisingly.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22696345

Not to wait now in any case, Gobbolino. Hope it all happens soon! [tea] and cake in the meantime.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 06-Nov-15 14:26:31

Yes - when compared to expectant management.

But when you look at the full report (I'm sure the one I've printed off is this one) part if the reason is that many people who have gone down an expectant management route opt for an elective section rather than induction if they don't go into spontaneous labour

NICE updated their paper in 2014 and one of the pieces of evidence they did review was that. However, they still maintain that induction is more likely to lead to either an instrumental or emergency section.

I don't want a section at all. But, if I have to have one, I certainly don't want an emergency one after 3 days of failed induction. Most of it spent on a ward without the support of my DH and with little to no privacy.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 06-Nov-15 14:26:55

Thank you for the cake and kind wishes though! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now