c-section aftercare

(17 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Mon 19-Oct-15 13:25:05

Hi all had a c-section Friday morning (my bub had pooed in his waters (he is completely healthy and bootiful!!) , I got stuck at 5cms, he was sunny side up and 10lb 1oz!!! - so never going to come out of my hips nunni anyway.) I am finally being discharged this afternoon and I've just been told to keep the wound "clean and dry" that is all really...

Could I put witch-hazel on it though to help with the pain?? E45 to aid the healing process????

I haven't even looked at the wound properly so I dont know what its meant to even look like anyway. (I had a pressure dressing on it for a day, I think) help/ideas!!!!!!

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Mon 19-Oct-15 13:27:05

I didn't do anything with mine apart from washing with water in the shower and drying throouhly with a hairdryer on cool. Can't imagine that witch hazel would help with the pain and E45 won't do anything for a wound.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 19-Oct-15 13:36:12

The best thing to do with an wound is keep it clean and dry and leave it alone.

Once it's closed over, you could think about bio oil etc to try and reduce scarring - although reviews are mixed but putting E45 on a wound or witch hazel is not a good idea and could interfere with healing

Doublebubblebubble Mon 19-Oct-15 14:02:21

Okay - no worries wont be using those then x I have dissolvable stitches - how long do they take to dissolve?? Xx

ShowOfHands Mon 19-Oct-15 14:08:19

Just leave it alone. Clean with plain water and pat dry with a towel or lie flat on your back for a while and let it air dry. Don't put a hairdryer anywhere near it (they harbour germs) and don't put anything on it. Not sure how long dissolvable stitches take to go as I didn't have them but remember you heal from the inside out so the deeper layers will knit first and the top layer last. I was told it would take 3-4 weeks for it to be considered knitted together properly and to avoid putting any unnecessary pressure on the area.

Just listen to your body. I have had two emcs and had quick, easy recoveries with no pain at all. My scar is almost invisible to the naked eye.

Congratulations!

ACatCalledFang Mon 19-Oct-15 17:53:23

I had dissolvable stitches, could feel the end one poking out after 3.5 weeks and by 6 weeks, it had gone. It's mostly fine now at 7 weeks post-op.

ACatCalledFang Mon 19-Oct-15 17:56:04

Oh, and I'd just stick to painkillers if I were you, and avoid putting anything other than water on it (I was advised to avoid baths until the six week check). The last thing you want is an infection!

Skiptonlass Mon 19-Oct-15 20:59:34

Do not put anything on it!

Shower daily, let warm soapy then fresh water run over it and then air dry

WiIdfire Mon 19-Oct-15 21:05:50

Dont put any creams on it, clean and dry is fine. Dissolvable stitches take weeks to go, but just ignore them. If there are sticking out ends, then the midwife or nurse can remove these after 7-10 days if needed, but they should fall out in time.

lachattequirit Tue 20-Oct-15 22:32:40

I was told to have salt baths to help with wound healing.

Doublebubblebubble Sat 24-Oct-15 11:46:02

I have a question for you all. Ummm they had to shave me before the section and, whilst I have a lovely scar there has been some regrowth (rather itchy) - it looks like there is hair growing through the incision - is this normal??

lachattequirit Sun 25-Oct-15 00:09:02

Maybe get your midwife to check that? I don't think I had that but it probably is completely normal.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 26-Oct-15 10:10:31

lachattequirit just had the midwife round to discharge us - day 10 - she had a look at the wound and said that it is very very low but looks perfectly well healed etc and that it shouldn't be a problem... Not sure about that - everyone knows what an ingrown hair feels like confused X

CerseiLannistersEyebrow Mon 26-Oct-15 21:43:15

Why did they shave you?!

eurochick Mon 26-Oct-15 21:46:34

I was shaved when I had mine last year. My scar is very low too (as I requested).

Doublebubblebubble Tue 27-Oct-15 12:22:17

cersei I dont know... Midwife had a look down there and said "Il just give you a quick trim" (a little bit embarrassing as I had tried to give myself a trim before - I think I was 41ish weeks - I was 12 days overdue when I had the section) it definitely doesn't look horrible... Just will be a bit uncomfortable x

CloudsofBrick Wed 28-Oct-15 08:51:56

I had multiple infections and found that water just didn't cut it. In the end I used a water spray from the chemist - cleaned all the nooks and crannies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now