Talk

Advanced search

A bit of praise for C sections

(32 Posts)
CateMercer Mon 27-Jul-15 15:37:06

I had a C section myself a couple of years ago and I found this post interesting. My sister sometimes is a bit rude about it. Saying it wasn't a 'proper birth'. Hmm. www.frostmagazine.com/2015/07/why-a-caesarian-can-be-a-positive-birth-experience/

Anonymum40 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:41:51

My first was an emergency c-section after a nightmare labour. I think we'd both be dead if I hadn't had one. My 2nd child was a planned C-section and was fab - so civilised! I feel no shame about this whole not 'proper' nonsense. No one cares after a couple of years anyway.

Saltedcaramel2014 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:44:54

That really resonated with me. I can't feel anything but positive about the fact that in 4 minutes surgeons saved definitely one and possibly both of us. The surgeon herself came and sat with me for ages afterwards, holding my baby and talking with me. The midwife brought me my placenta (I know prob a bit yuck to some people but I really wanted to see it!). My husband was with me throughout. It absolutely was a birth experience.

Saltedcaramel2014 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:46:35

and good to hear about your ELCS anonymum... Weighing this up at the moment

Redtowel Mon 27-Jul-15 15:55:02

I'll add my praise. Absolutely loved my calm, planned c section. Walking into theatre, no drama or panic. Best thing ever.

mrsmeerkat Mon 27-Jul-15 16:00:02

I had two csections. First due to lack of progress and baby in distress. Second was elective as it was so soon after first and there was no problem in asking for one.

I was well looked after. It was right for me.

We joke that the dc's 'came out of the sunroof' but does anyone even question these things?

hurryupandgetout Mon 27-Jul-15 22:53:28

Mrsmeerkat - can I be nosey ans ask how soon after your 1st the 2nd was? I've just had my 1st cs and am wondering when it's safe to go for the second baby...

But aside from my nosiness I'm also here to add praise. Mine was an emcs so all a bit frantic, but after 12 hours of labour and a few complications it was just a relief to have the baby out and safely. I had mine in Lewisham hospital which seems to have a bad reputation but i can honestly say everything about the experience was fantastic.

Wolfiefan Mon 27-Jul-15 22:56:02

If you had a c section or not you had a baby. So you had a birth. I fail to see the proper!
I didn't need a c section. I always thought it'd be harder to recover from. It certainly never seemed the easy option some people seem to paint it as.
Why can't people just say congratulatuons?

littlebeps Mon 27-Jul-15 23:03:59

Had emcs, will have elcs in the future. I've had the stupid comments but I wouldn't do it any other way. Any one who thinks it isn't a proper birth hasn't been through it

mrsmeerkat Mon 27-Jul-15 23:06:53

hurry

ask away, no problem. It was 14 months after the first. It wasn't recommended but I has trouble ttc dc1 so thought it might take 18 months. Er.. two or three weeks. Was happy. Great pregnancy.

I am 90percent sure I am finished but there is a tiny part of me who would like another but I need a break. At least three years and then I will be too old.

1944girl Tue 28-Jul-15 01:38:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Tue 28-Jul-15 01:47:15

Dd2 was 41weeks, big and breech, the country I lived in at the time doesn't do breech births so section was my only option. Was fabulous, done by the consultant I had seen throughout my pg, walked into theatre, never had a contraction, no pain, out after 3 days amazing care for both of us, driving again a week later.

Shootingstar2289 Tue 28-Jul-15 07:43:48

I had the 'you had the easy way out' from my MIL. Easy way out..!! I wish..

I don't think anyone truly understands what a c-section involves and the recovery until they've been through it!!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 28-Jul-15 08:18:46

mrsmeerkat that's interesting, I'll have a 13 month age gap after a premature emcs and the hospital are still saying VBAC is best for me. I'm definitely going to ask the consultant regarding small age gap now, thank you.

Mama12341 Wed 29-Jul-15 10:55:10

I hope you don't mind that I've posted a link to this thread on a thread about positive hospital births. I think it's really important to get positive stories of all types of birth out there. Unfortunately the c section and hospital birth stories seems less publicised.

My emcs was wonderful. Drs included me in all the decisions about my care and we were in theatre ready for assisted birth when dcs heartbeat disappeared. Dc was out within minutes and no further complications for him. He was brought straight to me and lay right next to me on my bed for the whole of his first morning. This meant I could reach him without sitting up or straining. It was lovely to spend time with him like that just next to me. I could kiss him and snuggle him. I was very pleased with the whole experience not to mention the fact that it saved my dcs life.

Redtowel Wed 29-Jul-15 12:38:17

also just to mention, a MNetter recommended this book on c-sections. i read it and was totally decided on an ELCS. i thoroughly recommend it. dispels a lot of the myths, has a lot of cold, hard statistics about your chances of achieving a birth without forceps, episiotomy or venteuse after a certain age.

no way would i have a VB after reading it.

www.amazon.co.uk/Choosing-Cesarean-Natural-Birth-Plan/dp/1616145110

Howaboutthisone Wed 29-Jul-15 12:52:32

I've had both a vaginal and a cs delivery. No question the cs would be my choice if we were to have a dc3 (we won't though!). I recovered so much more quickly from the cs and it was a far more relaxed experience than being wheeled away to theatre at the end of my vaginal ordeal having lost consciousness.
Cs every time!

Couldashouldawoulda Wed 29-Jul-15 13:03:13

Two ELCS here - both very good experiences. I have the book linked to above, and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone considering one.

BikeRunSki Wed 29-Jul-15 13:07:14

Dc1 - emcs, dc2 - crash. Neither would be here without a cs, at public cost. PreNHS neither of my children would have survived. Even if dc2 had, I certainly wouldn't have. I just don't get the anti section vitriol.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Wed 29-Jul-15 13:18:11

Women need to stop the stupid competitiveness!
VB is not better than CS.
Breastfeeding is not better than ff.

Without an EMCS neither dc1 nor I would be here today.

ApplesTheHare Wed 29-Jul-15 13:22:09

Pippi so true smile

Lurkedforever1 Wed 29-Jul-15 13:34:18

Of course it's a proper birth, only a knob could think otherwise.
Yes at antenatal stage nobody should be considering a cs purely because they're deluded enough to think surgery is an 'easier' option than straightforward vb.
But neither should anyone be looking down on someone who has given birth and had surgery, with all its recovery implications, at the same time as some kind of lesser option.
I've yet to meet anyone who's declared they sacked off an easy vb last minute because they thought surgery looked great fun, there's always a reason for a cs.
Birth really shouldn't be another area to big ourselves up in by putting down others with different experiences and situations.

Booboostwo Wed 29-Jul-15 13:34:23

I had two wonderful ELCSs and would chose a third one if we tried for a third child. It was all calm, DH was there, I held the babies, I chatted with the surgeons, lovely experiences both of them.

Needaninsight Wed 29-Jul-15 13:39:04

I went into my ELCS all excited, believing it would 'calm, enjoyable, relaxing (!)' etc etc as so often said by people on these threads. This was after an awful natural birth 18months before.

The C section was 10 times worse.

So having had both, I would say, just thank your lucky stars you had a baby and you and the baby are ok!

Also, having had both (so do feel I can comment!) I would say, you cannot beat the feeling of pushing out a baby and having that baby placed wriggling on your chest. It's incredible. Very raw, Very real, very 'animal' . The c section did not compete with that in the slightest. I would never say to someone who had only had a c section that they 'hadn't given birth', but I can sort of see where people who say this come from!

CateMercer Wed 29-Jul-15 14:12:59

These comments make me so happy. I have had some negative and rude comments about my c sections. They were emergency c section and the recovery was horrendous. There is nothing wimpy about getting your womb cut open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now