Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
The longer the baby stays inside the better?(23 Posts)
With my various concerns over the baby's health I am booked to have another scan next Monday to decide on the type of birth I should have.
Now my mother and my SIL are going on at me that I should push to be induced at 38 weeks, and not wait for it to happen spontaneously if I don't need a c/section, because then I could be sure that a paediatrician would be present and the children looked after and dh there etc.
But I would rather wait for as long as I can because I don't want to miss dd1's birthday which is in two weeks' time, and also I always thought that the longer the baby can "cook", the better really? (providing the placenta is working etc.) Or is that wrong? Mum and SIL keep saying it doesn't make any difference whether he stays in there for 38 or 40 weeks.
Hi, I'm no expert but I like the natural approach as far as possible. Why not let the baby come, when it's ready to come if there is no medical necessity to intervene?
ditto what SSSandy has said. Surely the safest place for your baby is inside until s/he is ready to come out? (Unless the consultant thinks differently)
I don't expect there is much difference to the condition your baby may or may not have (sorry, I have followed your threads a bit but do not know if anythng has been confirmed) whether you have it at 38 or 40 weeks, but I would agree with Sandy and go for the natural route as far as possible. Surely you can make plans to have the children cared for that can be put into place straightaway if need be? Why don't your mother and SIL put themselves on 24 hour duty to take over if they want to help? And surely a paediatrician will be called when you go into labour anyway?
Having had an induction at 38 weeks (due to obstetric cholestasis) it wasn't as bad as I was expecting - labour took a fair while to establish but then was quick and easy afterwards and no ill effects for ds2. However, I would still have much preferred for everything to have kicked in naturally as far as possible.
Given that your situation is a little more complicated though, what does the consultant say - surely any large hospital always has paeds around and you'd be priority for one to be there no matter when labour started?
If it's not the hospital pushing for the induction, I'd avoid it tbh...
Births of dd1 and dd2 were quite easy - about eight hours with dd1, spontaneous, then induced with dd2 because she was two weeks' over, but that was fairly "easy" and over within five hours.
You mentioned concerns you have about the baby's health. Hope everything will be ok, pregnancy is stressful enough without those kind of worries. What does dp think about having the baby induced?
Don't really understand why your mother and SIL think having a planned induction at 38 weeks will be any better than a planned induction at 40 - 42 weeks. Maybe you should talk it over with your consultant and tell him you are worried that a paeditrican won't be available. A case like yours will surely be given special consideration
I think both Mum and SIL have this idea that you start labour and immediately become unable to move/baby drops out of you.
SIL has only had elective c/sections and Mum's births were a long time ago and horrendous, so they probably think it would be in my best interest.
If they induce, and suggest it is before term, then my guess is its because it has to be; it took them ages to decide to induce Sam early. My guess is if they choose to induce, its bevcause they want A) to ensure you deliver in the hospital and not have a 20 minute labour (well it is number three) in the back of a car; and B) so they can make sure there is a Paed / NICU or SCBU bed available. In this situation Emkana, I would let the Doctors decide.
Yeah but the doctor's haven't actually made a judgement. It is Mum and SIL! I would go to your next appt with an open mind.
Hi Emkana. I was induced at 38 weeks with DD as, like in your case, there were concerns about abnormalities.
I think you need to be clear whether it is being offered (or you request it) for your benefit (get it over with, have some certainty of dates) or for the baby. If the latter, what precisely is the benefit going to be?
I've actually got a great long ramble in my head about this as I am still not sure whether being induced at 38 weeks was a good idea, and there are definitely things I would do differently! Would it be easier if I CAT you and you can get as much info from me as you want?
Wait until your babe wants to come, if nothing else, induction results in more painful contractions and longer labours. Quite apart from that, the longer baby is inside the longer baby has to be nutured by you and grow stronger, which can only be a good thing. I think most C-sections are scheduled around 38 weeks which is probably why your SIL thinks there's no issue.
Sounds like the whole "isn't it nice if we know the date and can plan things and have everything nice and tidy" issue. Birth isn't meant to be tidy!
Agree that if SIL is worried about your childcare, she should volunteer to get to you in the middle of the night if need be.
Surely the paed will be present whenever you go into labour? Or are you worried about not making it to the hospital in time?
See this thread for some links to some stuff on why 39 weeks is better than 38 weeks. I guess it applies to induction as well as cs. They don't like to schedule cs before 39 weeks now so they won't want to schedule an early induction unless there are medical reasons.
I was booked to have a c/s with ds at 39 for the same reasons as waswondering...the hospital doesn't like to do them earlies as it increases the risk of lung problems.
In the end I had him at 38 weeks anyway because my pre eclampsia was getting worse. Fortunatly his lungs were fine and he was a substantial 9 pound 2
Hope everything works out OK for you
emkana - How did your appt go?
Have you decided on what type of birth you're going to have?
Emkana - tell your mother and SIL that they are in charge of flowers chocolates and champagen after the birth, NOT the obststrics!
The consultant will tell you if there is anything that indicates that there is a reason to give birth early and as a result of an intevention. Personally, I would have thought that the more time a baby has in gestation the better, unless there is something which emphatically contradicts that, as with eclampsia or diabetes.
Paediatricians are on call throughout the night, and in your case will be on the alert.
It has been proven (was on BBC science prog with the curly haired man) that babies who spend longer in the womb tend to have higher IQ's, so maybe fend them off with that fact!
emkana, in my humble experience, after two inductions and two 'natural' births, i'd go the natural route every time, given the choice. i wish you good luck whatever you decide . ive been trying to follow your threads, hope everything turns out well. xx
Well they said they'd induce me if I wanted to due to feeling apprehensive etc., but I said no, I'm very happy actually to let it happen naturally.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.