Placenta Paevia after CS - likely to move?(7 Posts)
Its very difficult, i feel for you as I am also someone who likes to know things in advance and finds it hard to just go with the flow. However I don;t think anyone is able to tell you what you want to know, its just one of those horrible situations where you just have to wait and see. I have not heard of scar tissue stopping the placenta moving up but I'm not sure about that to be honest. I think there is a greater risk of something called placenta accreta which is where the placenta adheres abnormally to the womb when you have had a previous section and then placenta previa, but this is quite rare and I don't think you should worry yourself unduly about it if the doctors are not. I hope it works out the way you want it to. Hopefully the weeks will pass quickly so you can get your answers!
Hi goody. I guess in just hoping to hear from ppl that have had previous sections as I've had mixed advice from mw and doc.
Doc was useless in that I had hoped to be told more than the mw who scanned me had. She didn't even have a scan pic so had no idea how low the placenta is. I was specifically keen to understand how having a previous section could affect things, she didn't know. Heard anecdotally that scar tissue can stop placenta moving up, she wasn't able to talk much about it. Oh, and appt was an hour late.
Sorry if I'm being vague. Just having gone through one pg, gone overdue and then find out I'd need a c section (which I could/should have known about earlier) I just want to try and have some feeling of control this time
Over 80% of placentas which are previa at your stage will have moved out of the way, mine did. But no one can tell you about yours, and no poll here will tell you. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the later scan, which at least has the benefit of reassuring you whether your baby is nicely head down.
I know how hard it is to have to wait, but it really is the only way. Best of luck.
No one can tell you if your placenta will move or not. Mine didn't i ended up with a c section, but that doesn't mean yours won't. Why was the doctor useless? Surely you realise he can't possibly know when some move and some don't?
Thanks for the reply KitKat.
If it helps, I found my ELCS really straightforward and not horrid in any way really. I wouldn't mind having another, I just don't want to psych myself up for another natural birth and then feel disappointed.
I feel that mentally it's quite a strain...
Anyone else able to share their experience?
Hello LittleMilla! I'm afraid I cannot share my experience yet as I'm 33+3 with my DD1 and I have placenta preavia so it's all ahead of me at the moment. It's been diagnosed at my 20 week scan, since then I had a scan at 32 weeks and it has slightly moved but not enough to have a natural delivery. I'll be having a final scan when I'm nearly 36 weeks (on the 26th March) and the doctors will decide then. I cannot wait to find out what is the situation and what kind of delivery can I have, the waiting is driving me a bit crazy. I don't even know now which option would I prefer - a section or natural.
I hope you are taking it easy!?
DS was undiagnosed breech which resulted in a c-section 40+10. I was hugely diappointed after numerous sweeps and mentally psyching myself up for the birth. I am 22 weeks with DS2 and have placenta praevia.
Useless appt yesterday with a doc who said we'll make a decision at 36 weeks on another c-section if placenta doesn't move.
Can anyone share their experience of my situation - did your placenta move up? I want to mentally prepare if possible - for either eventuality - and would appreciate your stories.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.