Bishop's score of 0 and Induction(6 Posts)
Hi All, looking for some advice please.
1st baby - am now 40+8 and no signs of labour despite trying all the usual things. x2 attempts at sweeps unsuccessful as Bishop's score 0 both at 40+3 and 40+8.
Booked for prostaglandin gel at 40+11 and depending on how that goes for proper induction at 40+12.
Anyone know chances of a successful induction with such a low Bishop's score? If likely to fail and end up with emergency c-section anyway, would rather have semi elective c-section from start.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Induction can be quite difficult if your body isn't ready.
What type of birth are you most keen on? If you are quite keen for a vaginal birth, why not postpone induction and ask for a scan and monitoring? The WHO only considers pregnancy as post-term after 42 weeks. I don't mean to sound scary but induction does increase your chance of c-section and I've known several women be induced at 40 + 12 and end up with emcs.
Anecdotes aren't data, but I and and friend put off induction and went into labour naturally at 40+13. Others on here have gone to 40+16 without problems.
If C-section would be your preference anyway, it might be worth asking your midwife or consultant about that. I think they would probably still advise induction, just due to policy, but having the conversation might open up a valuable opportunity to discuss the relative risks of waiting vs induction vs c-section.
Let us know how you get on.
Hi there hhg
I did reply earlier but it disappeared when I tried to post it
Not sure if this will help you or not, but I was induced at 40+11 after 2 failed sweeps. My Bishops score was either 0 or 1 (can't quite remember) and the midwife said my cervix was high, hard adn closed, that I was 'unfavourable' and that it wouldn't work. The plan was first Prostin gel in at 6pm, then they'd leave me til 6am to give me teh enxt so I could sleep, and 3rd prostin at noon teh following day.
Long story short: contractions started about 2 hours after the first Prostin, things really got going at about 11pm, and I was 10cm dilated by 3am. DD was born at 5am
So I know I'm not a representative sample but it certainly worked on me! Best of luck, bet you can't wait to meet your baby
Thanks Both - thats a great reassuring story. Ideally would like things to progress with just prostin gel. Just keen to avoid prolonged painful attemps at induction which dont work and end up in emergency c-section. Maybe I am being negative. Got a consultant appt tomorrow so fingers crossed we sort a plan
DD1 was born 4 days after starting an induction with a BS of 0 at 38w. It didn't get to 1 until day 3 when they managed to get me dilated enough to get the amnio hook in to break my waters which caused nothing much to happen so I had an epi/synt combo with side order of ventouse delivery. She was my first baby and I did have bad SPD so I don't know whether that interfered with things going well too. Still at the time NICE guidelines for induction was 7+ so (IIRC) but I would still have rather had the induction than a c/s (my own personal views of course).
Hope everything goes well for you and that you don't need any help to deliver.
I was induced at 40 + 12 after 2 unsuccessful sweeps. (hosp policy was 41 weeks, but I'd made a stand as the baby was active and I was healthy..however, got fed up with being an elephant and felt movements were starting to tail off so thought I'd swallow my principles and get moving!). I managed to go from a nothing going on cervix so high it was nearly tickling my tonsils to a bouncing 10lb baby boy 2 hours later. I reckon his watch had stopped and he just hadn't realised the time! Hope the same happens for you.
Join the discussion
Please login first.