I am looking at birth plans and price lists (am not in UK).
Given my previous two long and drawn out births, it would probably be a lot cheaper and simpler for me to choose an elec c-section this time.
Can anyone tell me that it's not selfish of me to want to try for another natural birth?
And then there's the fact that they will probably be really pressuring me to have one 3/4 of the way through anyway... I was really lucky to have had two babies on the NHS with experienced midwives who let me keep going.
Oh, and now i've realised my title will upset people who had wonderful c-sections. I didn't mean it like that. I guess I am just scared of having a c-section. It's major abdominal surgery and it terrifies me. If it was necessary of course I would be grateful to have one
Maybe it wouldn't be more. I hope I am being a dickhead actually.
I was looking at the price list and for a c/s it's a straight £2320. I didn't know there could be complications with a c/s. The way they were talking it was in and out with a baby.
On the other hand it's £960 for a straightforward birth with 2 nights in hospital. Last time I was induced +++, had constant monitoring, forceps, fever, drip, anaesthetisis on standby, and haemorrhaging. I was in hospital for a week.
Insurance doesn't cover childbirth. We can afford it either way, but I just suddenly wondered what the right thing to do is.
pre anaesthetic check up epidural/spinal block and top up for a day or so surgeon and anaesthetist pay nurses/midwives pay before and after care urinary catheter intravenous drugs and venflons wound dressings and stitches hospital stay at least two nights if not longer Painkillers in the following days
Of course there is a chance of complications with a CS. If you have previously haemorrhaged, there is a chance of that happening however you give birth. And risk of infection and risk that the baby may need special care which is more likely after a CS.
Of course many women have CS don't have any problems, but have still found it a very painful/stressful way of giving birth with a long recovery period and the implications for future pregnancies.
Have you spoken to a midwife/doctor about your previous birth?
To clarify - a straightforward birth is £960. I didn't have straightforward births last times.
I was a bit underwhelmed by the woman I spoke to actually. I wanted to discuss the possibility of my next birth being similar to my last two, and she kept insisting that it would all probably be fine, as per her piece of paper.
Regardless of the cost, I dont think it is selfish for you to want to try for a VB. A VB is usually the best option for the mother and the baby (and I say that as someone who has had CS in the past), so you are not selfish to want to do that even if it does cost more.
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I live in Costa Rica, there are no midwives just lots of doctors who cant wait to intervene, the CS rate is 80% in private hospitals and on paper is about £50 more than a VB but in practice is cheaper because lots of things get added on - even for a straightforward VB if you go into "extra time" the doc's fees get upped.
I also had pph in my last birth (VB on NHS) and also have had surgery for Ashermans Syndrome (scar tissue in uterus) making me high risk for hemorage again. I want a VB but feel that without good midwife care the chances of it actually being successful and not ending in CS anyway are pretty slim, so I think it will be CS for me. I am also dreading the recovery and not very happy about it. The way I see it, if doctors here are "better" at CS's than VB's then I am probably better off doing it their way.
btw Raven the scar tissue you mentioned can be got from things other than CS - I was unlucky enough to get it after a VB, but you can also get it from interuterine infections too. I am not saying CS's are great - but you can get complications after any kind of birth. I was "left in awful pain with horrible injuries" after a mismanaged third stage of a VB.
<waves to lunatic> sorry to hear you are still uncomfy 6 months later