Talk

Advanced search

Requesting an elective c-section

(12 Posts)
nottiredmum Mon 20-Jun-11 13:18:17

Hi everyone

I am really hoping to have a c-section this time around after two horrible deliveries, both were 10 days late resulting in being induced and needing ventouse and lots of stitches.

I have a consultant appointment at 22 weeks as I have a BMI of 32.3 which I'm told puts me at a higher risk, I,m 42 years old, but I am otherwise very healthy, normal BP etc.

Is this appointment to early bring up the subject of and elective c-section ?, and what do you think my chances are of getting agreement from my consultant ? I really don't want another experience like the last two deliveries.

I'd appreciate any help, advice and similar tales anyone has to tell

QTPie Mon 20-Jun-11 13:26:21

Sorry no personal experience, but I would say, if that is what you want then bring it up at this early meeting. You can then talk things through, start the ball rolling, jump through any hoops required and - if your Consultant won agree to it - seek a second opinion....

Can't see any harm in starting things into motion this early.

Good luck.

schmee Mon 20-Jun-11 14:24:22

Ask at this appointment, but be prepared for a battle. They may agree to it, but there is tremendous financial pressure to deny c-sections, so you will need to know your own mind. Many posters on this topic have found it useful to gen up from the NICE guidelines and RCOG guidelines (you should find links on here if you search), although I found this counterproductive with my consultant who was clearly angry that a jumped up little woman should try to inform herself about what was happening to her body.

Keep asking, and make sure you get to see a different consultant if this one is difficult. But make sure also that you are sure about how much you wan this.

I also found the BMI and age argument being used against me as they just told me that this would make the c-section more risky - due to risk of thrombosis which is in fact really really rare.

Good luck with it.

Chynah Mon 20-Jun-11 14:55:56

Never too early - it can be a long process! Good luck.

nunnie Mon 20-Jun-11 15:09:59

Discuss it at the appointment but here they make another appointment at 36 weeks to discuss birthing options, if there isn't a medical issue that makes the decision before then for you.

BagofHolly Mon 20-Jun-11 15:16:33

With 2 instrumental deliveries, a high bmi and your age I wouldn't have thought you'd have much resistance anyway. The NICE guidelines have changed so that maternal request has to be taken into account and if the cons disagreed, refer her to someone who will help

nottiredmum Mon 20-Jun-11 15:52:21

Thanks for all yur responses, it really helps alot, in my area they seem to dish electives out like sweets but knowing my luck i'd have problems getting what I want. I have all my arguments ready and feel fairly confident, i'm hoping for a sympathetic consultant !!

PrincessScrumpy Mon 20-Jun-11 16:44:26

I asked for CS after dd's traumatic birth (37 internal stitches) before we even conceived our next (turns out I'm having twins and cs was offered anyway). I really felt that I couldn't have another baby naturally and that would make a decision as to whether we had a second or not. Consultant agreed in November and we started ttc in Dec, so no, 22w is not too early.

My consultant was sympathetic but was trying to say no until dh stepped in and calmly emxplained why he supported the decision. Consultant even apologised for my poor care when in labour with dd!

spudulika Mon 20-Jun-11 18:00:03

"With 2 instrumental deliveries, a high bmi and your age I wouldn't have thought you'd have much resistance anyway"

My understanding is that they may be less enthusiastic about doing an elective with a high bmi because of higher likelihood of surgical difficulties, but I could be wrong.

Hope you don't mind me saying - it makes me sad to read about a horrible induced birth for post-dates at just 10 days over. I can't understand why some hospitals are still inducing at 10 days over when others are happy to wait for 14 days. Statistically the majority of mums who are pregnant at 40+10, will have gone into labour naturally by 2 weeks over.......

Would advise that you practice what you're going to say before you go in. Think about the way you express yourself - make sure the strength of your feelings comes across clearly.

buttonmoon78 Tue 21-Jun-11 08:00:49

I'm probably going to be requesting an elcs if this baby stays breech as I won't be agreeing to ecv again.

I'm planning on printing off the NICE guidleines and the RCOG paper (or at least the relevant bits) and taking it with me.

I thought originally I'd be going on my own which scared me. Normally I'm very forthright but in pg I turn into a big jelly. However, dh is able to come to it (he works away from home and it's a midweek appt) so he's going to gen up and fight my corner if necessary.

Do you have anyone like that - who could bolster you in the face of opposition?

Stangirl Tue 21-Jun-11 13:49:09

I asked at around 16 weeks - no medical reason - and it was granted right away. Kings College London.

addictedtofrazzles Tue 21-Jun-11 19:43:35

Has anyone had experience of ELCS at Chelsea & Westminster? Is there a particularly sympathetic consultant I could request?

This is DC3 here too and DS1&2 both born at 42 weeks, SPD, Loooong labours, failed epiduals resulting in spinal and vontouse. I really just want this baby out safely and quickly!

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now