Talk

Advanced search

Leicester General or Queens Med Nottingham?

(11 Posts)
Tinkerisdead Tue 14-Jun-11 17:40:43

Does anyone have experience of these hospitals or even of both? My last baby was born by C section in Burton and I've moved. I cant have a VBAC in the local birth centre as too high risk. I'm only 6 weeks but I know I'm going to asked which consultant led unit I want to go to and its leicester general or nottingham queens. I have no experience of either, Nott rates higher on maternity stats and scoring but it was carried out in 2007.

I think I want an elcs so I need to choose which hospital..

sleepdodger Wed 15-Jun-11 09:59:40

Hi, any reason for leics general rather than royal infirmary (the city centre one)
I had a choice of hospitals due to location, and chose LRI based on friends who had had good deliveries there- I wasn't dissappointed with my choice
I found the care from the birth centre to del suite to theatre & then post natal care to be very good, especially when things suddenly got complicated!!
I have had 2 good friends have 2 planned cs, 1 emcs & 1 vbac & also be v happy there
hth

SpannerPants Wed 15-Jun-11 21:33:28

One of my friends has just had a baby at Leicester General - she ended up with EMCS because of foetal distress but she said the care was excellent despite it being busy.

I'm booked at LRI just because it's closer but am hoping to use the birth centre (which is on the same floor as labour ward).

colditz Wed 15-Jun-11 21:35:35

well..... I bloody hated leicester general, but can't compare as I've never been to nottingham.

colditz Wed 15-Jun-11 21:36:17

Don't forget YOU CAN GO TO THE LOCAL BIRTH CENTRE FOR AFTERCARE!!!!!

I did and it was the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Tinkerisdead Wed 15-Jun-11 22:06:38

Sorry Internet went down. I hate the royal, that's my own personal judgement at the corridors that stank of piss when I busted my sil and the blood streamed phlegm on the floors in the children's a & e.

Funny colditz I did a search before I posted and and old thread of yours came up saying 'once the baby is outta your vagina they dont care anymore' pmsl.

I've got booking in appoint next week at birth centre and was hoping for aftercare there. I hate hospital so much last time I had an India midwife and discharged myself 17 hours after my c section.

Morph2 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:35:06

i hated the royal and would chose general next time but then i know people who loved the royal. I was actually born at the general but can't remember that too well smile

Pussinflatboots Sun 19-Jun-11 18:27:00

Another fan of the royal here...

flibberdyjibbert Tue 21-Jun-11 20:40:37

Had DD1 at the Royal & DD2 at the General (coz the LRI was full), both were fine - the Royal's good coz you've got the midwife led unit right next door to delivery suite & theatres in case it goes pear-shaped, plus the big neonatal unit, postnatal wards very busy though & could have been offered more in the way of support. The General's delivery rooms aren't as nice as the birth centre at the Royal, but care was great & the postnatal ward's quieter - more support, even brought menus to choose meals from & lots of cups of tea too. Parking's much better there than the Royal.

VeronicaCake Wed 22-Jun-11 11:21:58

No personal experience, but 4 of my friends have had babies at QMC and rated it highly especially the aftercare.

Tinkerisdead Wed 22-Jun-11 14:21:25

Thankyou for all the replies. Still undecided! Dh is insisting on Leicester as he was born there which is laughable as dd was born in burton so it wasn't an issue then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now