Talk

Advanced search

Help !! Eggs without shells

(7 Posts)
vjg13 Mon 01-Sep-08 19:46:00

We have had 2 hens for 3 months and today both did 'normal eggs ' in the nest box early morning and then early afternoon I found 2 eggs without shells in the run. Have been in all day and nothing unusual has happened to them (like a fox visit). Does anyone know what causes this?

andthentherewere3 Mon 01-Sep-08 19:47:29

Immaturity is one cause but you may also need to increase grit ration - do they free range?

vjg13 Mon 01-Sep-08 19:50:25

Yes, I pen off different areas of the garden for them so they have access to soil and grass. Also gave them extra grit today after this happened.

tortoiseshell Mon 01-Sep-08 19:52:01

There is a product called ShellStim which you can add to the water to give them extra calcium.

tortoiseshell Mon 01-Sep-08 19:52:13

Or you can try giving them baked eggshells.

Mattesdon Wed 03-Sep-08 23:21:56

normal budgie grit or crushed cockle shells works too. It's likely to be immaturity, particularly if you have had two eggs in a day, the second ones sound like 'practice' ones.

we had alsorts of bizarre things before ours settled down. the grit is uber important though as they need extra calcium.

vjg13 Fri 05-Sep-08 10:28:53

Thanks for all the replies, I went into a new chicken keeper panic frenzy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now