Advanced search

red mites

(20 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 31-Aug-08 12:51:28

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sun 31-Aug-08 16:34:12

Message withdrawn

tortoiseshell Sun 31-Aug-08 16:42:02

Have you got any Poultry Shield? Give it all a good scrub, spray everything in Poultry Shield. diatomaceous earth is good, as is Red Mite Powder - put them in the dust bath.

sarah293 Sun 31-Aug-08 16:50:17

Message withdrawn

thesockmonsterofdoom Sun 31-Aug-08 18:14:49

I think l;eaving it open in the sun kills them, I didn't think you could get them in an eglu.
I have just bought some diaom jobby stuff for the lice but it is not here yet so i can't tell you if it is any good.
It is clearly the season for grosdss things.

MrsOnTheMove Mon 01-Sep-08 21:22:50

Just checked on our chickens, their ark is infested sad too!

I have some Barrier V1 disinfectant - would that be any good to clean out the ark? We regularly use Red Mite Powder.

If I can get some Poultry Shield tomorrow, can the chickens still sleep in their ark after it being cleaned out?

Hoping for a bit of sunshine tomorrow!!! I now feel guilty that these mites are feeding on our 3 'girls' sad

MrsOnTheMove Tue 02-Sep-08 10:26:38

Just cleaned them out. Same as you Riven.. thousands, jet washed the coop as well. Praying that it won't rain for the next couple of days hours so that it can dry!

Could explain our lack of eggs too, I can't believe I only cleaned them out on Friday and didn't see any. blush

MarmadukeScarlet Tue 02-Sep-08 10:39:12

Erm <dons dunce hat> would I know them if I saw them? (used to feel this way about headlice, got it wrong the first time - were horselice from our rescued ponies in dd's hair, dead as they can't live on humans)

Was it obvious what they were? Where were they?

I spray inside nooks and crannies with poultry shield (then scrub floor with it) and when dried I powder with louse powder.

<Off to check under removable perches>

MrsOnTheMove Tue 02-Sep-08 13:54:41

MarmadukeScarlet

I thought I was thorough blush I clean them regularly and powder afterwards with red mite powder.

Having just spent all morning scrubbing and cleaning, I've just been to see if the coop was drying out and there are still some there angry

Tiny little red bugs in clumps..... am shocked by the amount of them.. and already wondering how many more will be out tonight. I wonder if you can ever truly get rid of them as our coop is made from wood and when I jet washed it they came out of everywhere!!!!

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 22:04:01

this is worrying...

would painting a new wooden shed/henhouse in (whatsit called? that garden/fency paint stuff.... CUPRINOL) cuprinol and thereby sealing all the wood endy bits, woudl that help to guard against infestation you think??
i have seen the odd red thing... but i thought that red mite powder and DE worked to get rid...
i give all new straw a good powdering now, as i read that straw actually introduces the bloody things to the house [rolls eyes]

MarmadukeScarlet Tue 02-Sep-08 22:06:34

Creosote is supposed to be good for ridding the critters.

I don't use straw for this reason, I use shavings and shredded paper - not as cosy as hay but hopefully no critters.

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 22:11:26

ah... one of the poulty housing makers ive been looking at says their timber is creosote treated for this reason...

no, i wont be buying straw again... hemcore or sim maybe...

The good old fashioned creosote works but nearly impossible to get hold of now. Creosote substitute does not work, neither does cuprinol, etc.

I've tried durmitex and it didn't work. Dettol is meant to be very good. Am going to get a bottle this week and do our henhouse as noticed red mites on the eggs [boak] when I picked them out the nesting box yesterday.

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 23:27:00

hmmm, wish i could remember who it was who used the creosote in their housing then... they sound like they know their stuff re safety/hygiene

MrsOnTheMove Wed 03-Sep-08 16:21:27

Just as an update, I jet washed the coop again yesterday with another good clean and the little critters were still around this morning angry

I have never used straw! yesterday I was told that pigeons and birds bring them in to the garden hmm

Either way I think it is going to be a few days until they are gone though the chickens have been happier going in at night.

MarmadukeScarlet Wed 03-Sep-08 17:06:38

I'm trying to remember the name of the stuff I used when I got the (neglected/rescued) ponies and they were crawling.

I got the first lot from the vet at shock price and the next lot from scats for much less, a friend said they use it in their chicken houses - I'll look on the tin when I go up to the feed shed. <scratches at the thought> Deosect or deosan, that's the stuff smelt like buggery and one of the ponies wouldn't come near me for weeks after I'd treated him!

My actual house is enclosed in a bird proof run, although there is a door to the outdoor electric pen - hopefull no birds will go near it.

MrsOnTheMove Wed 03-Sep-08 18:09:00

thanks MarmadukeScarlet - have told DD's to chase any pigeons!!

DH has now 'kindly' offered to give the coop another 'good clean' at the weekend. Typical he gets me to get rid of the critters and then he 'offers' to help - to be honest he's not much better with spiders! wink

MrsOnTheMove Wed 03-Sep-08 18:09:57

Riven

Did you get rid of them?

GentleOtter Wed 03-Sep-08 21:36:52

Jeyes Fluid is good! We have just blitzed two of our coops and let it dry in the sun.
I had suspicions about the straw.hmm
Chickens have all been 'puffed' in red mite powder too.

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 05-Sep-08 10:40:41

We've had a nightmare with mites all summer but fingers crossed have finally banished them after COMPLETELY COVERING every single surface of the coop in powder for the third time. They are persistent and keep laying and hatching new eggs, so you need to repeat the process a few times IME. You also need to treat the chickens at the same time, rubbing it in well under their wings and on their chests. We were really close to just burning the coop and starting again tbh, the mites were that persistent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now