Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Best location for car seat

(8 Posts)
greenlizard Sun 15-Feb-15 09:27:39

I understand that rear facing behind the front passenger seat is considered the safest place for a car seat to be but how do you know your baby is OK if you can't see them? Am I just stressing too much (due my first in 4 weeks so entirely possible) or is getting some mirrors the way forward?

Lagoonablue Sun 15-Feb-15 09:29:11

Get one of those mirror things. Actually I thought it was behind drivers seat bit I stand to be corrected!

Lagoonablue Sun 15-Feb-15 09:29:53

Actually it is behind the passenger seat. Doh!

Booboostoo Sun 15-Feb-15 09:40:18

A mirror works great.

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Feb-15 09:42:27

I can see mine in the seat behind the passenger seat ok without a mirror. It's when you have 2 that the trouble starts!

Jeggie Sun 15-Feb-15 09:49:49

Definitely behind passenger seat if you drive on the left. more accidents hit the driver side.

I think actually the middle is safest if you can still attach seat securely

Jeggie Sun 15-Feb-15 09:54:23

But most cars aren't really big enough for a centre seat. Try not to worry too much - just make sure you fasten them in tight - no fluffy coats, keep rear facing as long as possible. On my car seat they also say it's essential to have the carry arm locked up in carrying position even in car as it forms a roll cage and other protection that is how it was tested. Does get in the way of my little mirror to see baby sometimes.

AliceMum09 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:27:48

Yes, definitely check the car seat instructions to see where you should place the handle. Most have to upright, but some have to be positioned forwards by the baby's feet so the handle is pressed into the car's seat and acting as a rebound bar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: