Advanced search

So...camping in Europe - what do I need to know?

(11 Posts)
Whojamaflip Sun 17-Feb-13 21:44:26

Off to Poland for a wedding the week before May half term with the intention of working our way back across Europe - road trip time.

We're planning on camping - I know how it works in the UK but not "abroad". We have a Vango 8 man tent and the usual gubbins - are there restrictions on pitch sizes or is it one size fits all. Any special equipment we need (thinking along the lines of the car kit you have to carry in France etc - is there anything similar for tents confused )

Also has anyone any recommendations for naice campsites between here and Gdansk grin tia

AllOverIt Mon 18-Feb-13 08:42:55

Not sure if you have EHU, but you need a converter for European plugs... will try and find a link. Bear with....

AllOverIt Mon 18-Feb-13 08:44:27

One of these

Lovecat Mon 18-Feb-13 20:20:41

They sell the converters in most French supermarkets for about €7 .

I can only speak for France but we found that pitch sizes weren't particularly standard, however we didn't have a problem with our 5m Bell and separate tarp combo - on one site where BIL & wife joined us for a weekend from Luxembourg they gave us a double pitch so we could camp together and then didn't make us move afterwards smile

Be warned that there is no such thing as a disposable barbecue in France! We took our Asado with us thinking we'd be able to get them and ended up never using it!

dikkertjedap Mon 18-Feb-13 20:39:18

You need breathalyser kits for France. I think they fine you on the spot if you don't carry sufficient kits. Halfords and the AA sell them.

Lucycat Tue 19-Feb-13 08:37:47

although the 'new' French government have decided that you don't need breathalysers - allegedly something to do with Sarkosy and his mates who owned a breathalyser manufacturing factory....

Lots of discussion on ukcamping smile there is a good thread on ukcamping about first timers on the continent this one here which might answer lots of questions.

janinlondon Tue 19-Feb-13 09:49:14

No gas canisters on case that's relevant to you!

Lovecat Tue 19-Feb-13 10:26:09

yy Janinlondon, although we didn't realise that until we were on the train and saw the posters...blush

Whojamaflip Tue 19-Feb-13 11:55:47

shock re gas canisters - does that include the little ones for the camping stoves or is it just the large one connected with tubing? If its all sizes are you able to buy ones in Europe which fit stoves I've bought here?

<may have to re-think travel method across channel>

Useful re breathalysers tho

Lucycat Tue 19-Feb-13 13:20:12

No you are fine with gas canisters if they're just the normal calor gaz type ones - just pack it towards the back of the boot /trailer, tell customs and sometimes they come and look at it but you're fine - we always have been. Ours is one ofthe big ones. It's LPG cars that aren't allowed.

In the car you must have a spare pair of glasses if you're the driver, high-vis vests ( cheap from tesco for a 4 pack) that you can access before you get out of the car and a breakdown warning triangle.

continental driving is sooo much easier than over here - we hate the drive down to Dover but it's a doddle onve through the tunnel - and we love the tunnel btw - it's very civilised and quick - especially if you have a daughter like mine who was once sick all down the spiral staircase of a Brittany Ferries shio blush

twattock Tue 19-Feb-13 19:20:08

gas canisters can be very hard to find, especially the small ones you need for gas lanterns. and you don't get shopping bags in super markets. you can get horse for your barbeque but it's a good idea to marinate it first. tasty though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: