Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SMOKING ...

(7 Posts)
lovinit Tue 19-Jul-05 05:25:39

i am very naughty and have started smoking out of sheer tiredness, but I know that it is not good . What are the medical implications? I need to stop but also need to really drum it in that it is bad for DD . Its not a lot, the odd one, but will that do much harm ???
does it affect supply of BM ?

slim22 Tue 19-Jul-05 06:00:12

Hi,
yes to both questions.
nicotine and other nasties will be present in breastmilk.
also smoky environment obviously VERY bad for baby, even if you smoke outside as particles of nicotine, tar, etc....stick to your clothes, hair, etc....
Not to mention cot death danger multiplying exponentially when parents smoke.
I don't want to send you on a guilt trip as I am occasional smoker myself.
I completely stooped when pregnant and untill stopped BF (6 months). Then had the occasional smoke when out. Now baby 16 months. Never smoke with him in the house.
Good luck.

lovinit Tue 19-Jul-05 07:06:40

slim22, i totally needed that wake up call ... !!! I feel awful now, as had forgotten abt the increased incidence of cot death.

Tks !

hercules Tue 19-Jul-05 17:27:32

lovinit - it is better to bf and smoke rather than not bf and smoke.

WigWamBam Tue 19-Jul-05 17:32:12

Oh, there was a thread on this quite recently, I'll see if I can dig it out, because it contained some interesting information.

WigWamBam Tue 19-Jul-05 17:33:25

Here . Not many posts but useful to read.

lovinit Wed 20-Jul-05 14:13:04

TKS FOR the link WWB ... A friend told me exactly the same as hercules did ... I will definitely try and cut it down to very minimal also because DD1 who is 22months is starting to think that I am playing a game by blowing smoke when I have a cigarette on the balcony !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now