Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

rather large feeds - too large??

(9 Posts)
mckenzie Sun 03-Jul-05 20:54:21

DD is not quite 4 months old and so according to the charts on the packets for formula she 'should' be having 5 feeds a day of 6 ounces each. Now I know these are only guidelines but presumably they have been researched etc and the numbers havent just been chosen willy nilly. The thing is, DD only has 4 feeds a day but consequently they are usually 7 ounces and her bedtime bottle is 8 ounces (and of course 8 ounces of water plus 8 scoops of powder makes up about 9 ounces) and then tonight she decided she was still hungry and after finishing her bottle polished of another 1 ounce.

I'm not concerned about her total consumption but I am looking for reassurance that she won't be harming her delicate stomach with such a large feed.

TIA.

mears Sun 03-Jul-05 20:58:05

Don't worry mckenzie. This is the down side of seeing how much your baby takes. When I was expressing breastmilk I could get 10oz. so babe probably got more than that at 4 months. Let her have what she wants. She might be going through a growth spurt which the amounts on the packet don't account for. If it was too much for her she would chuck it back at you

mckenzie Sun 03-Jul-05 20:59:30

I was hoping that would be the answer Mears. Thanks very much.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 03-Jul-05 21:01:00

Jess has always had large feeds. Went from 4oz bottles to 9oz bottles!

She's almost a year now, and doing fine! Just switched her to cows milk and LOVES it - dont worry - bubba sounds fine!

rummum Sun 03-Jul-05 21:05:53

When my Son was 11 weeks he used to drink 9 ounce bottles... the only thing was that he used to wake up in the night soaking wet... his babygrow.. sheets everything... I ended up buying this gauze stuff from the chemist and putting that in his nappy so that it soaked in to that before his nappy...
I put him on baby rice soon after that, but I believe things have changed now... you have to wait till 6 months don't you?

mckenzie Sun 03-Jul-05 21:17:58

Yes rummum, advice is not to start weaning until 6 months now (was 4 months when i had DS). I assume though that just because she's having large milk feeds doesn't mean that she's ready for weaning yet does it?

rummum Sun 03-Jul-05 21:20:04

Is your baby the weight of a 6 month old baby?
What centile is your daughter on?

mears Sun 03-Jul-05 21:21:39

Large feeds are not a sign of needing weaned - just means she wants more milk. Delaying till 6 months allows the bowel to mature more which is not dependent on weight.

mckenzie Sun 03-Jul-05 22:19:33

that's good news too Mears, thanks again, as I really like the thought of DS being at school (ie, this september) before DD and I get in a mess with baby rice and mashed banana!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now