Talk

Advanced search

Think I need to stop, don't know how and don't really want to!

(9 Posts)
Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 06:55:54

DS has just turned two and is still feeding at least three times, often more, a day. Not feeding at night unless he is ill. I would like to start ttc however and I haven't had a period since I had him.

I can't imagine how I can make him stop. He loves it. I don't want to stop him, I want him to self wean but I don't want to wait too much longer to get pregnant again.

At the moment I am trying to distract him as much as I can during the day to see if I can get him down to just morning and night. Goodness only knows how those two feeds will ever stop.

Anyone been through this? Any tips?

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 07:02:57

Stefka - you know I don't believe you have to stop. If you really don't want to - delaying conception another six months isn't going to hurt your chances that much - you are only 33!

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 07:05:17

thanks - I have a bit of a panic going on after reading that other post! It was really helpful for me to hear your story.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 09-Nov-09 07:09:48

How long ago did he stop feeding at night?

I think stopping when you don't want to stop, and he doesn't want to stop, wouldn't be pleasant or easy.

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 08:26:52

Over the summer, I think you are right. Might just keep trying with distraction as much as possible but not force it.

mawbroon Mon 09-Nov-09 13:49:39

Yes, I've been through this. I started ttc when ds was 14 months (looking for a 2yr age gap!!). He was feeding on demand, and it was day and night.

I tried all sorts of ways to get him to cut down, and in the end, I decided it wasn't worth it as nursing meant so much to him. Also, when he was 2, he developed a dairy intolerence, so the nutritional aspect of the breastfeeding became much more important.

So, I waited patiently, and finally, when he was 3.5yo I dropped night feeds and am now 24weeks pg with no2.

Everyone is different, and apparantly it's unusual to have to stop completely for fertility to return.

Good luck.

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 17:36:12

So far not fed at all today. I was out of the house this morning before he woke up and I distracted him when we got home. He will have one before bed. I feel bad when I am trying to put him off. I would let him have it if he got upset though - which is why the boy is still feeding I guess!

I was underweight this time last year so I don't know if it is that which has stopped my periods or the feeding or a bit of both. Weight in the right range now and has been for a while so thought that would have started them again.

Stefka Mon 09-Nov-09 17:49:26

spoke to soon - he is asking again - ah well!

mawbroon Mon 09-Nov-09 23:05:03

I found that distraction only delayed things a bit with my ds. It would work so far, but then he would reach a point where he needed to nurse so much that distraction didn't stand a chance!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now