Talk

Advanced search

herbs/ideas to stop milk?

(7 Posts)
bb99 Sun 08-Nov-09 09:45:41

Long story - don't need BM - please don't ask. sad

Boobs are excited and ready to feed a baby. Don't want to start leaking etc everywhere.

Any tips for stopping milk as docs won't give me the good drugs, due to side affects, and I can't be bothered to go thru drying up again (am lucky - my boobs REALLY love bfing)?

TIA

Alieight Sun 08-Nov-09 12:17:18

Hi bb99,

I saw your other thread - I'm really sorry you're going through such a sad time.

In terms of stopping milk supply, I'm not an expert. I found putting chilled savoy cabbage leaves in my bra very effective at relieving engorgement. I have also heard that sage tea (teaspoon of dried sage steeped in boiling water) is very effective - 3 cups or so a day. Kellymom has some information on decreasing milk supply too.

I would avoid binding your boobs though, as it can cause blocked ducts / mastitis, which you really don't need. If you do get uncomfortably engorged, you could also hand express a little off, just to relieve any discomfort.

I hope that helps a little.

bb99 Sun 08-Nov-09 12:20:01

Ta

I've got loads of sage in the garden - off to boil kettle and dig, dig, dig in the veggie patch.

Owlingate Sun 08-Nov-09 12:29:59

Hi I got pills at the hospital but I'm told not all are willing to do this cos of side effects. You could try asking your GP. They didn't work too well anyway - took about a week for milk to dry up but I didn't have hot baths in that time, wore a slightly too small bra (!) and just avoided any pressure on the area iyswim. HTH thinking of you.

tiktok Sun 08-Nov-09 12:35:01

bb99 - you have had a very sad time, and I am so sorry

In these circs, doctors do normally prescribe meds...I am surprised yours are not. Worth asking again?

Yes, there is a risk of side effects, but with careful monitoring this can be minimised.

bb99 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:31:41

Ta all - will ask again Tictok, as from prev xp I know you are very wise. Thought it was sorted as at the initial appt they said fine and were supposed to leave a script for me to pick up from hosp, so will doc bother tomorrow as was lactating until July this year with other dc, so boobs are double excited blush great clevage tho.

Chynah Sun 08-Nov-09 15:34:37

I found sage tablets from health food shop helped loads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now