Talk

Advanced search

very green poo in breastfed baby

(8 Posts)
May67 Fri 18-Sep-09 23:34:53

DD2 is 5 weeks old and every evening seems to have a few hours where she is quite agitated and cries a lot, this is followed by a few greeny poos. I remember DD1 having occasional green poos (she was FF) but not regularly like this. Could it be a sign of something wrong? Our 6 week check up is in a few days so I'll ask GP but just wondered if any MN wisdom could help!

LeninGrad Fri 18-Sep-09 23:45:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

May67 Sun 20-Sep-09 11:34:20

DD is also gaining weight well so i'm not too concerned, just finding the verdant poos a bit worrying! I think you're right that it takes things a while to settle down.

MoonlightMcKenzie Sun 20-Sep-09 11:48:13

Nothing to worry about. Restlessness in the evenings is because supply is a bit lower and not quite there on demand. Makes sure you camp on the sofa for a few hours each evening and feed lots and lots. This should reduce the green poo a little too, although tisn't really anything to worry about.

Mummy369 Mon 21-Sep-09 00:27:57

Could be a sign of wind?

May67 Mon 21-Sep-09 12:06:07

Thanks, MMK, have been glued to the sofa in the evenings and DD has been glued to me (perhaps she was listening to Derren Brown and misheard sofa for boob!) Does seem to have helped, she seems to like to feed a little and often all evening.

M369- she doesn't seem to be nearly as windy as DD1 was, she's also not nearly as sicky- in fact she possets milk into her mouth then swallows it back down again before we can do anything about it! I'll try winding her for a bit longer though and see if it helps.

TheShockoftheTwo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:22:32

Bert had green poo for about three weeks, at about 5 weeks. Freddie didn't. I put it down to Bert having had anti-biotics in hospital. although another theory is that caused by wind (neither have ever been v windy babies).

I figured it was okay, as he was otherwise fine and mum had story about my excessive green poo(!), but asked bfeeding counsellor at drop-in about it and she said that nothing to worry about. It spontaneously cleared up in the end.

www.theshockofthetwo.blogspot.com

kalo12 Sun 27-Sep-09 22:30:22

did you take anti biotics or lactulose by any chance?

my ds had green poo for three weeks, it was down to anti biotics that i took.

taking bifidabacterium infantis (from good health shops) is great for easing the gut irritation . it will pass through your milk supply to the baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now