Talk

Advanced search

Help! My friend is bleeding from a nipple

(6 Posts)
Breizhette Fri 28-Aug-09 20:05:31

she wants to know if she can still BF from that breast. Her DD is 6 months. Her nipple has been damaged by a whole night BF session (which she isn't used to). She freaked out because her DD had a black posset.

FlamingoBingo Fri 28-Aug-09 20:10:14

Yes it's fine. Shouldn't do baby any harm at all to ingest a bit of blood.

madwomanintheattic Fri 28-Aug-09 20:10:42

at 6 mos i'd take some professional advice tbh. (bumping for ya) i had bleeding early on and as long as the milk was just a bit pink lol i didn't stop - but i'd think it was quite unusual for a 6 mo to cause an issue in an experienced bfer?

Breizhette Fri 28-Aug-09 20:22:01

She shouldn't stop BF from that breast, though, should she?

madwomanintheattic Fri 28-Aug-09 20:32:04

i didn't ever stop because of bleeding, but at 6mos she should be able to judge whether there is something else going on. (i might be tempted to express a couple of feeds to prevent more chewing lol, before resuming, just to allow a chance to heal a bit - but personal choice - it depends if she finds expressing more or less damaging lol!)

if it continues i'd get it checked (has she got a friendly bf counsellor that she has ever used? - i suspect the gp would just mutter and suggest stopping lol)

(i used to joke that it provided extra protein - yurk - along with the bits of flesh that randomly became separated...) grin

Breizhette Fri 28-Aug-09 21:15:37

Thank you all! She said she didn't plan to introduce proteins just yet. I told her I would cary on too. I'll tell her to get it checked if it continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now