Talk

Advanced search

nipple shields - do they reduce supply?

(7 Posts)
questions2008 Fri 31-Jul-09 12:47:32

iv've just started using shields when bfing my 6 week old as left nipple has been causing me some pain for quite a while. its healing up now, and ive only used it for 2 days, but will it reduce my supply if i contninue to use? i havent noticed a reduction yet.

mrsfix Fri 31-Jul-09 13:02:38

I used them when it all just got too much to bear. I am probably imagining things but they seemed to make her windy?

If you aren't disguising an underlying problem (ie we know we have a bad latch) and if the baby doesn't have nipple confusion, I have never understood what is wrong with them.
.... or maybe she does have confusion which causes the bad latch?!

I'm noooo expert but I did't notice supply reduction. Dreading - and thus putting off - feeds probably did! Keep up the good work you brave thing, I'm sure the different areola massage (or whatever it is) won't hurt for a little while but I will be really interested to see if the brains out there think there is a long term issue

alittlebitshy Fri 31-Jul-09 13:06:45

They are said to reduce supply and i think that LONG TERM with my dd they did. But short term (ie 4 days here or there - two occasions with my ds i think) i found they didn't. But that is me, and i have always had a fantastic supply this time round so I can't say in a wider context.

What i can say is that using it (on my left side too) saved bf for me this time last year

And with ds at i yr and 1 week old, I can say happilty that I am still bf merrily so for me they were the solution.

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Jul-09 13:09:18

I found it really helpful while a cracked nipple healed.
Someone (can't remember if on MN or a properly-bf-trained-HV) told me that modern silicone shields are thinner than the older ones and hence not as bad for reducing supply.

mrsfix Fri 31-Jul-09 13:13:08

ooh yes, ditto the silicone point. I did searches on t'internet and that was about the only thing I learnt before giving up

jimbobsmummy Fri 31-Jul-09 13:14:51

I have been using them for 12 weeks. I have very inverted nipples and it was the only way I could get him to feed at all. I do try now to feed him without, but he still can't latch on (due to an anatomical issue rather than 'confusion')

I think they certainly reduced my supply a lot less than not feeding at all would have done!

strawberrylace Sat 01-Aug-09 22:38:31

I fed my DS for 17 months using nipple shields, and he was fine. I used Avent and MAM ones. It was a bit of a hassle sterilising them, and not so discrete when latching on, but they were the way I kept on feeding through painful nipples and really bad thrush. good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now