Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with a couple of BFing issues for 3 wk old...

(6 Posts)
wolfear Sat 04-Jul-09 10:48:11

My DS is 3 wks old and seems to feed fine during the day. At night though, he generally feeds twice but spends most of the feed grunting, squirming and fussing. He's been crying a little with what I think is wind as he's also doing massive trumps (they give him a fright sometimes). It's difficult to settle him after these night feeds and I'm completely knackered.

I'm burping after, and even during, each feed and not sure what else to do.

I seem to have an overactive let down too as he always chokes and splutters after he's latched on while my other breast leaks profusely. I've been squirting the milk into a muslin for a about 30 secs first and then latching him on again but wonder if there's a better way to tackle this.

I breasfed my first for 10 months and remember it being pretty problem free, although I had the full-on let down then too.

Does anyone have any advice, particularly on what's happening during the night?

Rsmum Sat 04-Jul-09 11:16:45

Have you tried a treatment for wind to help him pass it easier?

KirstyJC Sat 04-Jul-09 11:22:32

I agree, try some colic treatment, it might help him settle a bit.

Regarding spluttering, are you feeding him sitting up or laying down? My LO always has night feeds laying on his back and refuses to lay on his side - that makes his splutter sometimes, but during the day when he's more upright he handles it better.

GOod luck smile

wolfear Sat 04-Jul-09 11:26:45

Rsmam - do you mean something like Infacol? Not yet but may try some tonight. Is that the best one to use?

Rsmum Sat 04-Jul-09 11:34:54

Yes, try infacol but you need to give it before every feed if you can remember and it takes a while to start working.

tiktok Sat 04-Jul-09 12:58:18

wolfear - check out threads on too much milk overactive let down and similar - they may help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now