Talk

Advanced search

I appear to be unexpressable from- advice please

(28 Posts)
pistachio Fri 31-Oct-08 19:58:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Fri 31-Oct-08 20:01:24

Have you tried hand expressing ? Its much easier to do if you only express occasionally, and its not hard to do to just get a couple of ounces at a time to freeze as a stash

chequersandchess Fri 31-Oct-08 20:04:30

I can only express properly if I do it first thing in the morning, baby on the other boob if necessary.

I've heard you can get more if you do it in the bath, but have never found time to do this myself.

I've got the medela swing pump and find it really good.

MrsJamin Fri 31-Oct-08 20:15:57

What time of day do you express, and in what context? I always find I get the most at night after a night feed.

pistachio Fri 31-Oct-08 20:25:47

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 31-Oct-08 20:33:43

i just can't express!

pistachio Fri 31-Oct-08 20:38:42

MerlinsBeard Fri 31-Oct-08 20:44:37

i can't express.

actually i can, its just that each ounce takes a whole nigt and a LOT of painhmm

chequersandchess Fri 31-Oct-08 21:47:33

Nope, never tried any other pump.

jollydiane Fri 31-Oct-08 22:10:37

I did find the electric pump got the only results. Could you 'borrow one' from another mum just to see if it worked? The best time was 7am as at least you have (hopefull) had a rest. BTW it is not selfish to have some 'me' time it is vital to your own sanity.

Wishing you all the best

cinnamon81 Sat 01-Nov-08 13:48:37

My health visitor was able to give me a shot of a dual electric pump "for as long as breastfeeding", for free came with breastmilk freezer bags and bottles, was well chuffed!

She says they have a few to loan to keep numbers of breastfeeding mothers up for longer. Not sure if just in my area (scotland) but I would phone yours and ask.

However I found I got more with a manual pump, although this tends to be about an ounce in an evening sad I couldn't help feeling a bit like a cow when hooked up to the electric one which wasn't exactly great for let-down!

willthisdo Sat 01-Nov-08 13:56:08

I'm exactly the same. Have never been able to get more than about an ounce (and thats with much effort!) With DD1 I used to worry that it meant I didn't have much milk. DD2 is on the 98th centile for weight and am supremely confident about my supply (she's 6 months now) but I still can't express.

She won't take a bottle anyway!!

Salleroo Sat 01-Nov-08 14:07:57

Another suggestion. Express in front of your baby or while looking at a photo or thinking of the baby. This can encourage the let down reflex. I never had a problem expressing manually. Mind you the HV told me I was a great lactator. I felt like Daisy the cow!

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 01-Nov-08 14:12:00

I also found it impossible to express, never got any milk. DS was on 98th centile though, so i must have been producing milk!
With DD it was the same story, though I did try. In the end I gave up and waited until I know she could go a while between feeds beofre I legged it to the gym!

Sputnik Sat 01-Nov-08 14:50:39

I had a medela something. I could never express with that, same as you really, no other bf problems, fat babies etc.

I did do hand expressing a couple of time for engorgement etc and actually got the impression it came out faster, so you could give that a go.

FenLondon Sun 02-Nov-08 10:19:49

I originally had the avent electric which just got nothing, I also tried a medela mini which wasn't much better and I ended up using the avent with its manual handle. That worked ok but my hands were suffering so I hired a double pump from Medela. Well worth it, but possibly overkill if you're only doing the occasional express? I had a lactation consultant around who also got me to start an expressing session with a couple of minutes of fingertip massage, then a couple of minutes of rolling fists on the breast (from outside towards areola), then hand express "around the clock" - ie 15-20 squeezes with thumb and index finger at 12 and 6, then 3 and 9, then 1 and 7 and then 11 and 5 (ish!). Hope you have some success and get some you time!

aGalChangedHerName Sun 02-Nov-08 10:23:08

I was exactly the same. Never managed to express more than 2oz throughout bfing 3 babies.

Was a bugger but i just had to stick round till they didn't need bf so often.

Sorry no advice just sympathy x

katch Sun 02-Nov-08 10:24:40

I could never express - I also concluded that, as DS fed almost constantly anyway, why would I want to spend the time he wasn't struggling to squeeze out a measly couple of ounces?
I agree things like hairdresser's appointments are awkward, but after a few months they can be distracted by DP for a couple of hours while you buzz off.

BoffinMum Sun 02-Nov-08 12:39:28

Can you catch drips from one side in a breast shell whilst feeding from the other? That's mainly foremilk but the baby should be happy enough with it for a bit.

Otherwise a hospital-style pump on loan or hire might be a good answer.

pistachio Sun 02-Nov-08 18:34:37

ellac Sun 02-Nov-08 19:55:25

Hi. Drink loads of water during expressing. it seems to have helped me - although I am still not expressing enough for my 5 week old twins (who are still in hospital).any suggestions for getting more milk?

SazzlesA Sun 02-Nov-08 20:05:44

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Sun 02-Nov-08 20:06:46

Message withdrawn

maygirl Sun 02-Nov-08 22:48:37

I could never express (without baby on other side). Then one night had been at it for 45 mins, baby in bed, only 0.5 oz foremilk in bottle, about to give up, when a baby underwater swimming scene came on program was watching. Instantly had huge let down! Once i'd discovered this power of the mind I never looked back and could make myself let down thinking of cute baby scenes while expressing!!

Glimmer Mon 03-Nov-08 05:00:53

Never could express satisfactorily. Can get some but takes ages, although I persevered for months. I also had best results while nursing from other side. And - machine noise put baby to sleep :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now