Talk

Advanced search

problems breastfeeding - advice welcome

(14 Posts)
cupcake76 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:07:19

Message withdrawn

KristinaM Tue 12-Aug-08 19:14:33

well done for persevering and sorry you are having such a bad time

i am not an expert but if you hold on , one will come along soon and give you good advice smile

smallwhitecat Tue 12-Aug-08 19:21:50

Message withdrawn

Nanny4u Tue 12-Aug-08 23:36:47

Hi cupcake, I am training to be a maternity nurse. We were advised with sore nipples the best thing to do is to rub your breast milk into your nipples (sorry for graphic descript) as it is a natural healer.

Also there is a fantastic website by a dr called Jack Newman, who is a breastfeeding expert, think the website is www.jacknewman.com (if you google him website will come up) he has lots of brilliant tips and video clips showing you how to gain a correct latch. Hope this helps. x

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Tue 12-Aug-08 23:49:57

Surely there shouldn't be a time limit of 40 mins for a newborn?

Cupcake, I know it's hard to get the latch right in the first few days, you're both new to this game (so to speak). Lansinoh was great for me.

There is loads of practical support from other MN'ers here. I feel like I've forgotten most of my bf experiences, so I'm not much use. I can tell you that it gets better all of a sudden (for me, it was around the 10 week mark).

HTH.

madmarriedNika Tue 12-Aug-08 23:58:47

Had huge probs with latching with both my DCs. With DS he was fed expressed milk from a bottle for a few weeks before we finally figured how to get him to latch- and that was to use a nipple shield (Avent or Medela make them- available in all large chemists or supermarkets). He would feed for an hour at a time, and frequently- and even once I weaned him off the nipple shields (once he was bigger so latching was easier) he still fed for ages so it wasn't to do with efficiency of feeding with a nipple shield compared to au naturel... Some babies just do feed a lot. I would just settle us on the sofa with a pint of water beside me, a bowl of dried fruit and a good book and let him feed as long as needed.

Ideally try to get a breastfeeding counseller to come out to you and help work on the latch, but in my opinion you may find nipple shields help- you don't need to use them forever just in the early weeks. In order to boost your supply you do need him to suckle as often as possible- maybe try a few "baby moon" days where you do nothing except lie in bed or on sofa feeding him completely on demand, with some skin to skin contact too- and lots of rest as well. If you are worried about your milk supply consider taking fenugreek herbal supplement- worked wonders for me.

Try to ease him off the bottles asap. He won't starve- he will find a way from feeding from you. Like others have said feeding from a bottle is very easy for a baby so they do tend to take a lot in short periods and will often take some if offered even when not v hungry.

Agree rubbing your own milk onto your nipples and letting them dry in air (no bra) aids healing hugely. Nipple shields of course also protect healing nipples.

Good luck know how stressful this can be xx

TinkerBellesMum Wed 13-Aug-08 00:14:49

Don't time feeds, especially not at this age. I had a three day nurse-in at one point. She spent 45 minutes on the breast and 15 off for three days day and night. I got comfortable with a laptop and had my meals cut up and delivered to me, during the day I ate what could be kept next to me. Don't even worry about whether it's feeding or comfort sucking, because even comfort sucking is important.

I agree that the bottle is no indication of what he is taking from you. FF babies tend to have a lot more milk than BF babies (one reason they're sick more) anyway. With the amount of time he's on the breast if the formula isn't there he will still be fed, you don't have to worry about that.

Have you been to a breastfeeding group?

RedHead81 Wed 13-Aug-08 00:22:26

By giving top-ups after BFing, you are impeding your milk supply further. Frequent feeding will build up your milk supply. By frequent, I mean every hour on the hour if at all possible! Just a day or two of this and your milk supply will match your baby's demand.
just keep offering the breast as much as you can.

RedHead81 Wed 13-Aug-08 00:30:44

Just found this. It's very good - informative video of a good latch - it may help you.
x

PortAndLemon Wed 13-Aug-08 00:40:13

I would scrap the time-limit. DD would sometimes stay on for an hour and a half or more at that age, and she didn't have formula topups to make up for.

cupcake76 Wed 13-Aug-08 11:46:55

Message withdrawn

TinkerBellesMum Wed 13-Aug-08 12:20:18

I don't think it will take you ten weeks to sort. Most babies when the mother perseveres settle into a routine around six weeks.

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Wed 13-Aug-08 15:38:21

I know 10 weeks seems a long time. There were lots of successes along the way and it was getting better all of the time. I visited a bfc and gained a lot of confidence and tips from that visit.

I don't want to put you off with the 10 week mark. The cracked nipples didn't last long at all once I was using bm and lanisnoh and once your nipples are free from pain, it's so much better.

Have you looked at Hunkers blog? She has lots of links regarding bfing and a section about tongue tie. Hunkers blog

Sorry, I haven't helped much with boosting your confidence, it wasn't my intention to demotivate you.

cupcake76 Thu 14-Aug-08 11:10:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now