Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do i introduce formula and bottle feeding - having real trouble

(16 Posts)
michie40 Wed 08-Aug-07 15:09:52

DD2 is 5 months and I am trying to introduce formula and bottle feeding but not having much luck - she just gums the teat whilts making lots of DA DA DA noises which is not much help. Has anyone got any ideas how I can get her to srink them properly as I really need to stop breast feeding. I managed it with dd1 but dd2 is a bit more awkward.

michie40 Wed 08-Aug-07 15:10:47

sorry about all the typing mistakes - dd1 is insisting on sitting on my lap whilst i type

mumto2nuttybells Wed 08-Aug-07 15:11:44

but the tommee tippee next to breast bottles there brill

SweetyDarling Wed 08-Aug-07 16:08:05

Is she too young for a sucky cup? Might be good if you can skip the bottles and go straight to a cup?
Sorry - am no expert.

Slink Wed 08-Aug-07 16:22:16

I have no great advice as dd is 8 months and i have been trying to get her off the breast, she has only now managed to take water from a beaker but chews rather than suck. I am planning on trying formula again but water it down my hv said as it may trick the little menaces. xxxx

michie40 Wed 08-Aug-07 18:27:47

Thanks for all the help - I think she is a bit young for a cup (shes 5 1/2 months) but I might try the tommee tippee bottles. Has anyone out there actually managed to successfully switch from breast to formula at this age?

Scootergrrrl Wed 08-Aug-07 18:30:36

Nuk teats are very good and are supposed to be more like suckng a nipple because of the way it comes out. We found it really helpful to take both DCs somewhere ridiculously busy (think bowling alley, fairground etc ) then shove the teat in while they were so distracted that they didn't really pay attention and they both started sucking away without thinking about it.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 08-Aug-07 18:34:49

Please dont water down formula! Milk should be the main 'meal' for the first 12 months so you are risking under-nourishing your baby!

What I would recommend is expressing milk, and trying to get her to feed from bottles with expressed milk.

When baby is used to that, slowly introduce formula into the expressed milk 1 floz at a time, until you have swapped over completely to formula.

michie40 Wed 08-Aug-07 18:41:35

What are Nuk teats? never heard of these. will google these and unfortunatley i have never got the hang of expressing. Don't worry VVV will not be watering down the milk.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 08-Aug-07 18:43:05

Maybe now you have got the hang of b/feeding, you could try expressing again? Does take a bit of practise. But I found it really helped getting my DD swapped to Soya formula (cows milk allergy).

NUK teats can be bought in Boots IIRC.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 08-Aug-07 18:43:30

You have to get the bottles that go with it though.....obviously

Slink Wed 08-Aug-07 18:46:17

vvv thats what my hv suggested to me, i have not tried it as dd will not take milk from a bottle she just about accepts water from a beaker.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 08-Aug-07 18:48:58

Yes slink, I saw that. HV's are fricking scary creatures sometimes. I wonder how many other mums she has suggested this to?

Slink Wed 08-Aug-07 18:51:37

quite a few so i have heard. xxAlthough i am soooo desperate to get her on bottles or something just off my boob, she eats well little chubster, but i should enjoy once she stops she stops xxx

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 08-Aug-07 18:53:10

You'll miss it when she stops though

One thing i've learned over the past 4 years. Babies do things in their own good time

Scootergrrrl Wed 08-Aug-07 18:53:51

NUK teats are kind of flat and the milk comes out of a hole in the top rather than squirting out the end. The DCs seemed to like them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now