Talk

Advanced search

How long did it take you to transition from breast to bottle?

(8 Posts)
NationalShiteDay Mon 19-Nov-18 17:32:42

DS is 6mo and I'm DESPERATE to get him to take a bottle. He's EBF and started out having one bottle of expressed milk around 8weeks old. All going well. Then he started refusing the bottle so we left it a bit and now he won't ever take a bottle.

He feeds every two hours day and night, I need a break.

I've tried medela bottles, tommee tippee and now MAM. I was expecting great things from the MAM bottles but all I got was a look of contempt. I was planning to try a little bit of expressed milk every evening when he's most chilled for 2 weeks. Does this sound right or should I just give up and accept defeat?

OP’s posts: |
MrsMattMurdock Wed 21-Nov-18 12:21:20

I came on here to post the same problem-DS 6 months has always been ok with expressed or formula from a bottle (he's had about 4 or 5 total over his life). The rest of the time he's breastfed. In face a mere 10 days ago he happily chugged a bottle of formula from DH when I went out and he got hungry earlier than expected. This Monday I want to start transitioning to bottle, and he's completely refusing. He had about half a bottle from a doidy cup today but then I had to finish feed on the breast. So hoping for any wise words. If not I'll post somewhere busier on site!

Bowlofbabelfish Wed 21-Nov-18 12:23:52

My first was like that and to this day has never had a bloody bottle. Try a sippy cup. It took us many tries of different ones to get one he will use. In the end it was one family brought from abroad hmm

My second got a bottle as soon as we could and is still happily BF with a few bottles here and there.

Escolar Wed 21-Nov-18 12:26:14

Is he on solids?

itshappened Wed 21-Nov-18 12:48:13

my baby refused all bottles and dummies for months and months. MAM bottles are amazing, but my daughter only accepted them after offering her a minbie bottle. they are shaped like a big plastic nipple and after 12 hours of trying, she finally accepted it. Within 24 hours she was 100% bottle fed with MAM bottles. i think you do have to persist and refuse to bf at the same time.

MrsMattMurdock Wed 21-Nov-18 12:56:10

Mine's due to start solids next week

NationalShiteDay Wed 21-Nov-18 14:54:11

Thank you all. He's started on solids but isn't really that keen

OP’s posts: |
jomaIone Wed 21-Nov-18 15:09:13

Once my baby was taking water from her sippy cup, she would take a bottle but never form me. She took her first one from my mum when I was out and then would take from her Dad. We started with a hard spout free flow sippy cup, and then got a soft teat Tommy tippee transition cup which she loved. Will take a Nuby bottle like a champ now 👍🏻👍🏻

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in