Talk

Advanced search

Replacement manual, or get an electric pump?

(6 Posts)
AcademicNerd Fri 14-Apr-17 21:54:15

Since having my Little Man three weeks ago, I have discovered that I have very productive breasts, and often have to pump in the night.

Thankfully we had already bought a Mam manual pump, so I started using it right away. Not the greatest product in the world (a little drippy, caused some wrist/hand pain), but usable.

I went to sterilise the pump pieces tonight, using one of those microwavable steam bags just like I've done before (and not putting the handle bit in the bag). But when I assembled the pump, I noticed some bubbling in the plastic where the assembled pump attaches to the handle. In short, there is no suction and the pump is ineffective.

This is a bit of a problem, as I can feel myself on the way on engorgement as we speak. Will have to manually express for now, and hope he's really hungry.

My future options are as such:
1. get a replacement part for the pump, or try to refund it
2. rent the Medela Symphony pump from Mothercare
3. purchase a lower-grade electric pump from Medela such as the Swing or the Mini Electric

I'm definitely going to try option 1, but am stuck as to the merits of option 2 vs 3. Does anyone have any thoughts/comments?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 15-Apr-17 10:15:43

Are you purely pumping because of discomfort?

Joinourclub Sat 15-Apr-17 11:07:11

If try and reduce your pumping , as the more you pump the more you will produce. I'd simply hand express a very small amount just to reduce your discomfort. Or give your DC a feed. How long does your DC sleep for at night? If your waking up to pump I'd just try and give them a 'dream feed' instead.

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 15-Apr-17 20:12:49

I agree that you should probably stop expressing as it will only encourage milk production. Can you try feeding your baby instead?

Redkite10a Sat 15-Apr-17 20:20:11

Have you looked into a Haakaa type silicone pump, you can get them on Amazon for about 15 pounds? I use it on one side while DD is feeding on the other. I don't normally leak when feeding with the other breast but with the Haakaa I can get a reasonable amount off. Not everyone can get them to work but given you have loads of milk I'd have thought there's a good chance it would work for you?

Whatsername17 Mon 17-Apr-17 08:20:20

I've used the Nuby electric pump and found it brilliant. I've not had the issue with over supply that you are having - I never get engorged - but I can still get between 4 and 6 oz out in 15 minutes. It's not the quietest pump, but it is efficient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now