Talk

Advanced search

BF'd baby dropping centiles

(19 Posts)
WitteryTwittery Wed 16-Mar-16 10:47:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squizita Wed 16-Mar-16 14:04:39

It might not be your milk, just the way they are. My DD drifted down then stabilised at about 8 or 9 months ... If medical professionals say it is OK it probably is.

I found breast compressions and switching sides stimulated supply. I also fed every 2-3 hours and offered a "3rd side".

I had frequent weigh in they were a pain in the arse tbh and DD ended up at 9% on her 1st birthday, which was fine and she was creeping up. That was 6 months ago, haven't been since. She's still petite but eats and drinks well and is growing that much I know.

DrE678 Wed 16-Mar-16 14:13:42

It doesn't sound like he is eating frequently enough if he is sleeping for those two solid blocks. Has your HV or GP given any advice? My DD was similar so we had to put her on a feeding schedule under the advice of a paediatrician. She would still feed on demand but if we had gone 4 hours without a feed we had to wake her or dream feed her. Within a couple of weeks she regained her centile which she then solidly tracked once weaned. Some babies just prefer to sleep. They can still get the same amount of sleep, just in shorter blocks. However, if your GP isn't concerned you probably don't have much to worry about. If you remain concerned maybe try upping the number of feeds as an experiment.

WhyBird2k Wed 16-Mar-16 14:27:36

My DD started exactly the same as your DC and dropped 2-3 centiles after losing initial weight after birth.

The midwives really flapped tbh and we ended up topping her up with formula plus bf on demand plus pumping. I was determined to show them that she didn't need the formula because she was only having tiny amounts but they attributed all her weight gain to their amazing top up plan?!

So....I had an intensive week of "power pumping" to boost my supply and her weight increased much better when she was around 4 months. She also fed more efficiently by then. And the HV said she should never have been on the top ups!

You're doing great so keep going. If your GP is calm about it then its probably all ok. I'm a dr too so I know when not to panic and having weighed DD every week for 4 months we stopped when the paediatrician said there wasn't a problem.

How do you feel about weaning at 4 months? Our paediatrician recommended it and told us she would recommend to all parents (yes the midwives were quick to refer DD for failure to thrive).

I read an article about weigh ins written by a university academic. In her observations there was a huge amount of praise given to parents with babies on the 90+ centile and a large amount of projected anxiety to those parents with smaller babies....often making them feel guilty for not having enough milk! There are so many variables when it comes to weigh ins...like whether they've had a poo. You already have another DC who has turned out just fine. I urge you to question anyone asking you for weekly weigh ins or odd top up plans because most of the time even though they are well intentioned they need to cover their backs.

Take care!

Questionsagaintoday Wed 16-Mar-16 14:34:11

There is concrete evidence that weaning as close as possible to six months is best for baby - unless a qualified health care professional like a pead has found clinical evidence to the contrary for a specific baby. Please do not consider weaning at 5 months on the basis of something you read on an online forum. As such replacing calorific milk feeds by filling up your baby on puréed vegetables (considering you cannot give quite a few things before six months) is an absolutely pointless plan. I am amazed to read that the PP has been told by a paed that they would advise weaning at 4 months for all babies. There is evidence to the contrary and the NHS spends a lot of time and effort in communicating the 6 month mark to parents.

WitteryTwittery Wed 16-Mar-16 17:04:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhyBird2k Wed 16-Mar-16 17:22:12

I agree...boob is easier but I totally understand how stressful it is. And you're definitely not starving your lovely baby, in fact you're going out of your way to do the best for your DC.

Don't think I'll ever understand the weekly weigh ins. Do you have a children's centre closer to home to make it less of a faff? Could the GP write in the red book that they don't think weekly weigh ins are necessary?

Waking DC up to feed seems harsh at 3 months, you want to make sure you're both rested. Power pumping was my last resort and would be more difficult as you have another DC needing your attention. But it showed me that I have enough milk and therefore I'm not starving baby!

CarrieLouise25 Wed 16-Mar-16 17:23:09

Honestly, I get so fed up with midwives and HV's at times. Breastfed babies put on weight much slower and steadier. The best indication is plenty of wet nappies and poos. Plus on demand feeding is baby led so you are giving them milk whenever they are hungry therefore not starving them.

It's hard to pump, babies have the perfect sucking reflex to get the milk they need. The watery stuff is the watered down milk at the beginning and then the full fat milk follows smile

I had problems with the latch at the beginning, and midwives were threatening to get him up the hospital if I didn't get it right within 24 hours. Having already had 2 children I knew they both slept the first 24 hours and didn't feed or show an interest. I wasn't worried but the midwife put uneccessary pressure on me.

Fed up with centiles and charts and being advised what to do from 'professionals' who haven't had children or breastfed!

Sorry for rant. You're doing brilliantly, ignore the centiles and enjoy your new beautiful baby smile

tiktok Wed 16-Mar-16 22:31:10

Breastfed babies don't gain weight more slowly than formula fed babies - not until about six months and onwards. There is very little difference between ff and bf in the first months - it is a big myth that we should expect a slower rate and actually a dangerous myth .

Having said that, individual babies, especially babies beyond newborn, should be assessed using weight as only part of the picture. OP, your baby is not feeding as often as some of his age, but it might be fine for him. Appearance of your milk sounds normal. Don't compare it to cows - why would it look the same ? smile

I don't understand the thing about weighing more often. Weighing does not make babies gain weight smile

If your baby needs more calories then he can have more breastfeeds. That would be the obvious thing, if he is considered to need it.

CarrieLouise25 Thu 17-Mar-16 11:26:39

The problem is, are these growth charts based on FF babies or BF? I would guess FF.

SpeakNoWords Thu 17-Mar-16 11:36:39

The charts are based on breastfed babies, I think it says so on the chart in your baby's red book.

CarrieLouise25 Thu 17-Mar-16 11:38:23

<goes off in search of red book...>

CarrieLouise25 Thu 17-Mar-16 11:49:54

Yes, based on healthy breastfed babies!

At least they've changed them then, when my son was born they were based on old growth charts from the US for FF babies.

tiktok Thu 17-Mar-16 14:21:22

Was this in the uk, carrie? UK has never used US charts and never used ff charts. Before the current charts ( from data from BF babies) were introduced in uk about seven years ago, the charts were British one's, using data where the babies' feeding was not differentiated. So there would have been BF, ff and mixed in the data (prob mainly ff, though we don't know).

Whatever! It's not correct that BF babies grow more slowly than ff. At least not until after about the middle of the first year. The myth that they do is dangerous, because babies who are not growing well because BF is not going well can be missed - instead of the BF being fixed, the mother is told the baby is fine 'cos it's normal for BF babies to grow slowly.

It's not.

CarrieLouise25 Thu 17-Mar-16 14:57:05

Yes, that's right. I should have clarified that smile

In the first few days after birth, babies normally lose weight, then get back to their birth weight by about 10 days on average.
• In the first three months, a baby should gain, on average, 140 to 210 grams (five to 7½ ounces) per week.
• Between three and six months of age, the average rate of growth slows down
• Between six and 12 months, the average growth rate is 70 to 91 grams (2½ to three ounces) per week.
• On average, babies double their birth weight by four or five months, and triple it by a year.

So as the OP's baby is 3 months, and the general consensus seems to be that breastfed babies gain faster earlier, then from 3 months starts to slow, that's the only reason I said it.

Slow weight gain can definitely be a problem, but OP's baby seems to be doing well based on the other factors; wet nappies, poos, generally happy etc, so I didn't want to cause a problem by saying weight gain is slower don't check out any potential problems.

I think mainly I'm just fed up with the amount of ladies who really want to breastfeed and get terrible advice that they're not producing enough milk etc when their body is more than capable.

With the charts, my son is nearly 14, and the HV at the time said the charts were based on babies in the US who were FF. Plus babies used to be weened earlier, so that would have made a difference I think.

So with that, I ignored the charts and have ever since. I understand the need to see if there are problems with breastfeeding, and to have them addressed, but I really worry about the pressure on ladies, and how they feel like they're failing at doing something normal and natural, and how ladies may well have continued to feed longer had they had the right advice and support.

squizita Thu 17-Mar-16 15:30:30

...also, my HV always said to me that DD was petite because of genetics, and she thought she was "catching down" i.e was a big 'un in the womb (or rather an average one) who was destined to be short/slim (like both parents). So from birth till about 4 months she drifted down then stuck between the 9th/2nd percentiles.
Could catch down be an explanation?
I hasten to add I also saw a GP who did a comprehensive health and hydration check and said DD showed no signs of hunger or being underfed.
And I did compressions and offered a 3rd side anyway to be sure. grin

tiktok Thu 17-Mar-16 16:21:10

Absolutely, squizita, the underlying physiological size of the individual baby is a major factor in all this, which is why you can never expect every individual baby to grow predictably.

smile

CarrieLouise25 Thu 17-Mar-16 16:45:44

Absolutely, all babies are different smile

feeona123 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:47:46

Hey!

Same happening with my little boy.

He was born on the 91st and is on the 2nd now!

We're off to the paediatrician on Wednesday.

He's a lovely baby, happy, calm and meeting his milestones....I just thing he was born bigger than he should have been.

I wasn't (still am not!) worried but GP has referred us after 2 weekly weigh ins after 6 week check!

I've got a feeling he has found his line now (2nd centile) but I'll see at the hospital on Wed.

Really hope they don't tell me to wean early as I don't see the need to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now