Talk

Advanced search

What milk after a year?

(8 Posts)
GreyBird84 Wed 22-Jul-15 10:41:15

Planning on stopping breastfeeding around the year mark. DS is 11 months & gets a BF first thing in the morning & last thing at night.

He currently gets multi vitamins every day & I was planning on swapping to full fat cows milk but I keep seeing all these adverts for follow on milks that include vitamins etc.

What do people usually do post BF?

As an aside I have got my first period since before pregnancy & it is horrendous!

RattleAndRoll Wed 22-Jul-15 10:47:29

If you are stopping breastfeeding then just go onto full fat cows milk.
Follow on milk is just a marketing ploy. Not necessary.
The only thing I don't know is if you go straight onto it or do it gradually with bf. Will formula you mix cows milk in gradually so a ratio of 1:10, then 2:10, then 3:10 etc until after a few weeks they are on cows milk only.

GreyBird84 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:24:40

Thanks for replying. He gets full fat cows milk in breakfast so I was kinda thinking because it agrees with him I wouldn't have to do that ?
I will obviously reduce one BF at a time not just stop the 2 all at once.

Cherryblossom11 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:31:23

I was pretty much where you are at; fed both DD's to a year old, was at 2 feeds a day morning and evening. It felt like right time to stop for both parties. I just went straight to full fat cows milk, no mixing off or anything. I stopped the morning feed first, then fairly soon after the evening feed. That worked very well for us.

Beware!- I still 'leaked' for quite a few weeks afterwards every now and then!! smile

TheEmpressofBlandings Wed 22-Jul-15 11:33:42

Follow on milk was invented largely as a way of getting around the marketing restrictions on formula milk - they can't advertise formula but can advertise milk for after 6 months old.
So just move straight to whole milk, no need for any follow on at all.

GreyBird84 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:02:30

Great thanks all!!!

Looking forward to the leaking....

Cherryblossom11 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:10:17

Happened to me whilst talking passionately about my commitment to the business, trying to negotiate my return to work, in front of a fairly 'severe' HR manager. Silk shirt on, no disguising what was going on.

A moment never to be forgotten. confusedsmile. Breast pads are your friends!

Julieb85 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:00:56

I was told by HV to go into full fat cows milk but introduce a vitamin D supplement. I pick up boots own - which my DS love as its like orange juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now