Advanced search

The dr made me feel bad today :(

(42 Posts)
SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 16-May-13 12:36:44

Dd is 19 months old and still breastfeeding.

We recently returned from abroad (a "at risk" country) and dd has developed a severe diaorreah.

So worried I took her twice to a&e in the past 2 days, the dr said not to worry as long as she is still drinking fluid (bf being absolutely fine with him) but to bring her back if she starts vomiting.

She vomited twice during the night, so I took her back this morning to a&e.

I saw a different dr who said to me that bf is useless after 6 months and why am I still doing it.

He said we have to force fluid down her with a syringe and that's it, no more bm.

Then the nurse came and dd was crying from being force fed, the nurse said not to comfort her just let her cry.

I asked to leave at that point but they wouldn't let me and said if I leave now they would report me to social services for neglect. They wanted me to force feed her the drink before leaving.

I did what they asked and then left asap.

I am now back home feeling terrible, and wondering am I really neglecting my child by bf her?

Passmethecrisps Thu 16-May-13 12:39:27

They are being ridiculous. If you enjoy it and your DD gets comfort from it then why not? I presume she is eating solids and drinking water as well under normal circumstances?

SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 16-May-13 12:41:21

Yes, she is eating normal food when well, and drinking water. But due to whatever is causing her to be unwell, she has gone of her food since yesterday sad

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 16-May-13 12:41:38

Ignore ignore ignore. Carry on as you are!!!! Breast feeding will be better for her as its food and drink in one.!

pixiegumboot Thu 16-May-13 12:44:10

complain. WHO guidelines are 2 years. Grrrr! !!angry

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 16-May-13 12:45:10

There are some shockingly ignorant doctors out there. And why were you not allowed to comfort your distressed child? Seems appalling.

peeriebear Thu 16-May-13 12:45:13

I think I'd complain about your treatment actually, sounds like they need a spot of retraining!

SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 16-May-13 12:46:52

They asked me not to comfort her as they said otherwise she is going to think that what we are doing is not right.

But to me an unwell child needs comforting no matter what.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 16-May-13 12:49:26

If she feels like crap she won't have any idea what's going on around her. Best not to leave her crying and create a fear of the place and the staff trying to treat her.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 16-May-13 12:50:04

You r totally doing the right thing comforting her!!!

EauRouge Thu 16-May-13 12:53:32

Yes, make him feel bad by telling him that he's a rubbish doctor and he needs retraining! You are doing a fantastic thing by BF and it is the best thing for babies with D&V. Sorry they made you feel bad sad Please be reassured that you are not doing the wrong thing at all, you sound like a lovely mum.

Complain, complain, complain. Fancy threatening to report you to SS, what a pair of bastards angry

Here is some information for you to print out and stick to a 2x4 to hit them around the head with share with them.

I hope your DD is better soon.

spidersandslugs Thu 16-May-13 12:55:37

How the Fuck is breastfeeding useless after 6 months? & how the Fuck is formula (reconstituted crappy gloop) a better option after 6 months?

That doctor is an ignorant twat. Report him & the nurse for saying they'll call in ss. You are not neglecting your dc. The first doctor who saw your dc will back you up.

<pissed off>

LemonBreeland Thu 16-May-13 12:57:36

Wow, where to even begin with that? Breastmilk is completely the best thing for her and will help her recover.

As for being told not to comfort her, that is frankly none of their business.

I would complain, complain, complain.

SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 16-May-13 13:00:37

Thank you for reassuring me that I am not neglecting her, poor little soul was asking for milk (miiii in her words) but they said not to give her. Now that I am back home, I have given her some and she is now asleep. I, of course, offer her some other drinks but bm is what calms her down right now.

I want to complain about the treatment but I am scared of what they can do if they call social services.

I think they thought I am not a good parent as I brought her 3 times in 3 days (today being the 3rd) but I am genuinely concerned about her due to the destination we travelled to. And I only brought her back as she vomited and the dr said to bring her back if she does.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 16-May-13 13:05:25

Ss (if called) will see for themselves that there is nothing to worry about. That dr needs reporting because next time he may well talk someone out of doing something that is doing a child alot of good. Someone will believe him and spout the same crap her did to their friends. All those potential mums talked out of breast feeding their children.

girliefriend Thu 16-May-13 13:05:39

Sounds very weird tbh, can't imagine why a dr would say of that hmm

If this is real then obv you need to put it all in writting and go through PALs to make a formal complaint. You can't be referred to ss for bfing your child.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 16-May-13 13:06:22

They have nothing on you op x

SteepApproach Thu 16-May-13 13:08:24

I'm sorry that you and your little one have been poorly treated. I can understand your reluctance to complain as well. Perhaps it would be wise to access your child's medical records to see what has been written down. I think in case of A&E visits your HV will be automatically be contacted anyway and will follow up with you to check on lo's progress? Is your HV sympathetic? If so, you could also discuss this experience with them.

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 16-May-13 13:09:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EauRouge Thu 16-May-13 13:12:40

What would they report you for- questioning advice? It is not a crime to question advice, especially if it goes against both NHS and WHO recommendations.

PALS would probably be the best people to speak to, you should be able to find their contact details on the hospital website.

lizzytee Thu 16-May-13 13:19:43

OP, you have every right to complain at the way both you and your daughter were treated. If you contact PALS (Patient Advisory and Liaison Service) at the hospital where you were seen they will explain how to raise a complaint. Think about it: you were given patently inaccurate information by a senior healtcare professional (don't give breastmilk, breastfeeding is 'worthless' even though every reputable source recommends continued breastfeeding for babies with diarrhoea), bullied when you questioned the treatment recommended and from the description you give it sounds like your daughter wasn't treated with the compassion and dignity that every patient deserves.

Hoping she feels better soon.

SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 16-May-13 13:27:01

I am for real (I don't post very often but I am real)

I will look into pals and take it from there,

I am reluctant to complain as I don't want it to have any further effect on dd future treatment there.

My worry of the social services is that I am scared that they think I am not a good mum and take her away (very tearful since this morning as they made me feel like a bad mum) I know deep down that I am a good mum to her and provides to her every needs but they shattered my confidence this morning

I spoke to dh who is out of the country until next week, and he wants to complain.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 16-May-13 13:30:31

Maybe if you didn't complain there's a middle ground. Perhaps speaking to the nurse manager or head of department and inform them politely that their staff appear to be in possession of out dated information and perhaps they could be reminded of WHO guidelines re breast feeding?

SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 16-May-13 13:30:36

And I don't know my health visitor really well,

We moved when dd was 9 months old and I haven't had any allocated to me, she had her 12 months check with one but she said she wasn't my usual one. The only time I see health visitors is when I go and get her weighed at the baby clinic

EauRouge Thu 16-May-13 13:33:24

What's your HV like, is she supportive? If so then could you have a chat with her? Or a local BF counsellor.

No one wants to be told they are doing things wrong, especially by medical professionals. I am so angry on your behalf. I hope you start getting your confidence back soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: