Talk

Advanced search

water and feeding an exclusively b/f 11 week old

(9 Posts)
ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 02-Aug-11 16:27:08

since the weather has gotten hotter, DD2 is feeding almost non stop, and while I know that she doesn't need anything other than breast milk, she seems very thirsty.

Do people ever give water?

HarrietJones Tue 02-Aug-11 16:28:14

You don't need to give water alongside breastmilk

Paschaelina Tue 02-Aug-11 16:32:11

No need, just let her breastfeed as normal whenever she asks for it.

Jojay Tue 02-Aug-11 16:33:23

People probably do, but it's not necessary, and can even be harmful. She may fill up on nutrient free water instead of nutrient rich bm. Saying that, I can't believe that a few sips of cooled boiled water would hurt.

EauRouge Tue 02-Aug-11 16:44:10

Giving water to a very young baby can be harmful so I would avoid it until she starts on solid food (around 6 months). You'll probably need a bit of extra water yourself though.

EauRouge Tue 02-Aug-11 16:45:23

here's some more info.

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 02-Aug-11 16:58:57

thank you smile. Interesting link on Kelly mom Eau about even b/f babies in tropical weather still not needing water. Amazing.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 03-Aug-11 04:30:20

We evolved in Africa. Cold is actually more strange evolutionary for babies than heat.

SnarkHunt Wed 03-Aug-11 04:44:52

It does sound weird at first, I think because we find the idea of drinking (cows) milk when you're thirsty odd as adults. Think of bm more like one of those isotonic sports drinks but designed especially for your baby: it's better and more easily absorbed than plain water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now