A definitely silly question about breastfeeding

(24 Posts)
zaarin2003 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:46:22

Has anyone tasted breastmilk?

Our cat seems very interested by it...

cherub59 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:48:59

Tastes horrible....

hiccymapops Wed 27-Jul-11 13:49:07

It's supposed to taste like the milk left at the bottom of a cereal bowl according to another thread on here. Very sweet.

tortilla Wed 27-Jul-11 13:50:04

Tastes better than formula, according to my DD. Not so, according to my DS!

RockinSockBunnies Wed 27-Jul-11 13:56:43

Mine tasted like sugared water.

organiccarrotcake Wed 27-Jul-11 13:59:02

Sweet milk. Not so good in tea smile

ChunkyPickle Wed 27-Jul-11 14:06:51

I have tasted both, breast milk is sweet, but I thought slightly greasy. Milk at the bottom of the cereal bowl isn't a bad description - although I'd say it should be skimmed milk rather than full cream.

The premix formula I tried on the other hand was vile - like cold soymilk coffee.

coldcomfortHeart Wed 27-Jul-11 14:09:49

like very sweet water. but hindmilk might taste more creamy, I haven't tried that!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 27-Jul-11 16:56:28

really really sweet...untill i got pg when it became salty! shock

Thisis apparently called weaning milk and can also happen if you are only feeding a little bit or for a day or so when you ovulate.

zaarin2003 Wed 27-Jul-11 23:17:37

Wow. For those you replied and said yes.... was it your own? Or someone elses? And WHY did you try it? ;-)

RitaMorgan Wed 27-Jul-11 23:23:27

I've already told my story on another thread today grin

hellymelly Wed 27-Jul-11 23:25:49

Yes,sweet.And it was my own,when I expressed some to try and clear a blocked duct.I was curious,and as I was ff as a baby,its the only breastmilk I've ever tasted.DH took a swig too. One of my friends used to put it in her DH's tea if they had run out of cows,he never noticed.

SarahScot Thu 28-Jul-11 08:37:19

Is it wierd to taste your own breastmilk? I have, out of curiosity. Like everyone else said, it's sweet and more watery than cow's milk.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 28-Jul-11 08:54:12

why would it be wierd to taste bm? We taste other bodily fluids...everyone knows what ear wax tastes like and we regularly exchange saliver with someone else. At least bm is food.

Udder milk good, breast milk bad? confused

WoTmania Thu 28-Jul-11 09:44:41

very sweet - I have very active let down and would spray everywhere so just used to lick it off my hand. Why wouldn't you try it? I bet people who give their babies formula milk try it.

buttonmoon78 Thu 28-Jul-11 09:53:17

Sweet. Never tried formula - the smell alone makes me gag!

TBH I'm less grossed out about trying bm than I am about your cat being in any position to be interested in it!

Kveta Thu 28-Jul-11 10:00:48

sweet and watery, yes. also I was bizarrely surprised that it was warm. not sure why as it was freshly expressed. DH tried it too. he wanted to know what all the fuss was about from DS grin

the smell of formula put me off even thinking about trying it.

and I wouldn't let a cat try it.

EauRouge Thu 28-Jul-11 10:05:25

Mine tastes sweet. I wouldn't give it to the cat, you aren't meant to give cats milk. Imagine toddler BM poo. Now imagine cat BM poo. You wouldn't want to clean that up.

PelvicFloorOfSteel Thu 28-Jul-11 10:10:30

I put some in my coffee when I'd run out of normal milk. I take sugar in coffee but found it really disgustingly sweet with BM, I wouldn't do it again!
Never tried formula but I would if I intended to feed it to my children.

mawbroon Thu 28-Jul-11 20:23:22

We were on a long car journey when ds2 was 5 months. I can feed him hanging over his car seat, but had misjudged and the "wrong" side was engorged. I hand expressed into a cup, but ds2 was not interested in taking it from a cup. And nobody else in the car wanted to drink it (not even breastmilk obsessed ds1 shock

I didn't want to chuck it out the window whilst the car was moving at speed, and i didn't have a lidded container to pour it into, so I drank it.

It was quite nice actually. It made me think about all the calories that were in it, and how many calories it probably took to produce it and got me thinking that maybe drinking ones own breastmilk would be an ideal weightloss solution winkgrin

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 28-Jul-11 20:27:47

Have tried my own out of curiousity, and once expressed a little into a shot glass for DH for same reason.

TimeWasting Thu 28-Jul-11 20:28:41

Very sweet. My own - why not? grin Curiosity.

I drank an awful lot of someone elses for about 6 months at one point.

headfairy Thu 28-Jul-11 20:30:28

I've tried my own.. the odd drop there and there, I've licked some off the back of my hand when it accidentally squirted there. Not so bad, a bit sweet and watery.

deliakate Thu 28-Jul-11 20:37:11

DH said it tasted like milk with a bit of flour added, like when you are going to make a roux!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now