Talk

Advanced search

is lemsip ok when breastfeeding?

(10 Posts)
yummytummy Tue 14-Jun-11 19:29:54

hiya, not sure if this has been done before. have a rotten cold and am wanting to take lemsip but have had conflicting advice. they wouldnt sell it to me at the pharmacy due to the phenylephrine i think? but have tried to look it up and apparantly phenylephrine is ok but the older pseudoephrine isnt?

not sure what to do and if i should just stick to honey and lemon drinks. but feel really bunged up and need decongesting!

dd is 12 weeks and ebf.

thanks for any advice!

maisiemackenzie Tue 14-Jun-11 19:32:19

No pretty sure it is not ok.. sadly! i love the stuff!

MarknadNutidaPlats Tue 14-Jun-11 19:32:32

It is my understanding that the decongestant can slow milk production hence why not advised.

LetThereBeCake Tue 14-Jun-11 19:36:30

the decongestant isn't good.

yummytummy Tue 14-Jun-11 19:36:54

oh no! is there anything else i can take thats ok?

RitaMorgan Tue 14-Jun-11 19:38:02

Phenylephrine possibly has an effect on supply, but they're not really sure! I decided to chance it but obviously it's a personal decision.

Boots own brand lemsip type drink doesn't have any decongestant in it.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 14-Jun-11 19:38:24

Paracetamol and ibuprofen are about all you can take iirc.

Tis the worst thing about bf'ing IMO.

RitaMorgan Tue 14-Jun-11 19:39:35

This is the info on phenylephrine from the Lactmed database.

LetThereBeCake Tue 14-Jun-11 19:39:39

I make myself a cup of hot lemon and honey and take some paracetamol. I think Boots may do a paracetamol-only hot drink, but you're better off having hot ribena or hot lemon and the tablets.

If you're really congested then taking a hot shower can help, as can vicks.

bigbadbarry Tue 14-Jun-11 19:41:09

I've used it once I feel my supply is properly established. By 12 weeks, I reckon if your production dips a bit your baby will soon fix the problem. I tend towards just one at nighttime rather than staying dosed up all day - and spray decongestants such as Otrivine have little effect as they don't enter your circulation in the same wsy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now