Talk

Advanced search

Introducing expressed milk to breastfed baby?

(9 Posts)
Madinitials Mon 06-Jun-11 17:30:54

My DS is 4 months old and EBF. We're going to a wedding without him in 6 weeks and on holiday just afterwards and I would like to drop some breast feeds but after taking a couple of feeds from a tommee tippee botlle, he is now refusing tommee tippee, avent and nuby bottles. Any advice please?

cocoachannel Mon 06-Jun-11 17:39:28

After eight weeks of trying different brands with DD who is 13 weeks, we have finally had a breakthrough using Breastflow bottles. For us it was a case of trial and error for weeks then offering the Breastflow bottle at the start of each feed (which is a pain with sterilising etc.!). After a few days of flat out refusal (in itself an improvement on the screaming with other bottles) she took just 25mls, then a little more each feed, until happily a whole one. The expressed milk has to be very warm.

I don't think the brand of bottle made a difference in reality; the key was being consistent with the same bottle at every feed.

cocoachannel Mon 06-Jun-11 17:39:44

ps. GOOD LUCK!!

Madinitials Mon 06-Jun-11 19:06:11

Thanks for your reply Cocoa, maybe I didn't warm the milk enough?

cocoachannel Mon 06-Jun-11 19:09:05

I resorted to buying an actual bottle warmer (about £20 on Amazon) to ensure I could get the milk warm enough! My hope is that if we use that at home for a while she will get used to the bottle and be happy to take a cooler bottle when out and about if needs be...

mimmymouse Mon 06-Jun-11 19:23:07

My EBF DD takes EBM without any trouble, but I have never given her the bottle - to avoid confusion, it has been my DH, SIL etc because the reason she needed to learn to take the bottle is because I wasn't there to BF!! Pehaps this will help?? When we introduced her to expressed bottles I stayed out of the room.

Very good luck!

PS we use Medela bottles and teats

PenguinArmy Mon 06-Jun-11 21:30:49

tbh expressing or using formula on holiday sounds more stressful than just feeding them yourselves. BF has been a god send for all our travels and couldn't imagine anything else (she had regular bottles so I'm not anti bottle feeding)

sorry can't help with bottle refusal, how about a cup. DD got a bit funny with bottles at 4 months but was fine with a cup. She eventually came back round to bottles OK

Madinitials Tue 07-Jun-11 21:35:56

Penguin what type of cup did you use?

PenguinArmy Tue 07-Jun-11 21:44:50

well we don't seem to have much choice here. Had a valved sippy cup type one. It was a bit difficult to find one for younger smaller babies. We just browsed and then picked one. In fact I think it was this one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: