Talk

Advanced search

BFing relationship vs TTC

(16 Posts)
jaggythistle Sun 05-Jun-11 13:03:25

Hi, My Ds is 20mo and we've been TTC no 2 for 9 months.

I'm not thinking of stopping bfing right now, but it's been in the back of my mind recently, just wondering if it's making TTC more difficult. I just have thoughts swirling about about what if I did stop and it made no difference etc.

Being super broody doesn't seem to be good for my brain blush

I have googled a lot and read the Kellymom info about it maybe impeding implantation a bit or shortening LP. My LP has been about 12 days ish every month, so not that short and I am charting so have noted the other signs that I seem to be ovulating and also seem to have regular cycles.

I love bfing DS, he's actually not very bothered/demanding most of the time so we only have 2-3 feeds a day. I do feed him if he wakes at night but luckily it's not too often these days.

I guess I am just looking for a bit of chat about how others got on - did you eventually stop or just carry on and see what happened? Did you regret your decision etc. i have chatted to some people on the TTC while bfing thread <waves> but thought it'd be busier here!

I know I am really just feeling unnecessarily impatient as DS was conceived very quickly - guess I was one of the lucky ones very fertile after stopping the pill. smile

I don't want to just stop getting nice snuggles with my boy, but some days I get so impatient thinkng about another baby I could explode. grin

Iggly Sun 05-Jun-11 13:17:41

I conceived twice while BF - I think my cycle changed a bit since having DS (and being on the pill), so had to target ovulation earlier. I'm now 14 weeks (had a MC) last time and still BF. it took a few cycles to get there but relatively quick.

I don't think I was ovulating every time or when I thought I was. In the end with this one, we DTD when I felt randy which was more successful than charting!!!

I didn't think about giving up BF - but since being pregnant I have done. DS is 20 months and I feel guilty despite having done very well to get this far!

jaggythistle Sun 05-Jun-11 13:26:30

In that case I shall have to pounce on DH when i get in from work blush sorry TMI! How come I always 'feel like it' when i'm at work? Hopefully DS will still be asleep grin

I feel guilty even considering stopping as DS does seem to love his 'molk'. smile

jaggythistle Sun 05-Jun-11 13:28:57

Thanks BTW and sorry for smiley overload in that post!

4madboys Sun 05-Jun-11 13:30:48

i conceived twice whilst bfeeding and i was still feeding at night and more thna you were during the day. so it can happen smile

Iggly Sun 05-Jun-11 15:30:27

grin your DH will be pleased grin

mawbroon Sun 05-Jun-11 16:01:52

I was ttc for 2.5yrs while breastfeeding and I didn't get pg until I stopped nightfeeding completely.

What put me off weaning ds1 was the thought of weaning him, milk drying up and then still not getting pregnant.

I'm glad I waited because ds1 is still nursing, 15months after ds2 was born, so he was nowhere near ready to wean back then.

Good luck!!

AngelDog Sun 05-Jun-11 21:02:55

Iggly, congratulations. smile smile

Marking my place - AF hasn't yet returned at 17 months and DH and I are starting to feel slightly twitchy.

Mishy1234 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:32:01

I conceived DS2 whilst still bf (night feeds also) DS1. It took 8 years and 3 rounds of IVF to conceive DS1, so to say we weren't particularly hopeful that anything would happen naturally was an understatement! In fact, we pushed back starting IVF by a few months so I didn't have to wean DS1!

It seems that you know your cycle well, but have you had any tests to check if you're actually ovulating? I had a blood test (progesterone I think) to check if I was ovulating and it came back negative. I turned out I WAS, but just quite late and I had a borderline length luteal phase (9-10 days). In any case, we tried all the non-invasive options we could (nothing to lose) and for us a combination of using a Clearblue monitor, Pre-seed and Soft-cups seemed to work and relatively quickly after only a couple of tries.

Hope all goes well and you get a positive result soon!

Iggly Mon 06-Jun-11 20:44:10

Thanks Angel grin

My periods came back when DS suddenly dropped night feeds (although he did resume again!)

AngelDog Mon 06-Jun-11 21:38:19

We've talked about night weaning, but DH isn't really up for it yet so we're sticking with the 'wait & see' policy for a while longer. smile

Iggly Tue 07-Jun-11 06:35:24

That's far enough. We didn't night wean - he just did it. You could try just dropping one feed (unless it is just one feed!)

AngelDog Tue 07-Jun-11 07:56:40

It is just one feed! (well, unless his sleep is disturbed for whatever reason but that doesn't count). I used to get him up & change his nappy, so I stopped doing his nappy thinking he might stop waking up, but he still does. It suits me, mind, as it's around my bedtime and I find it harder to go to sleep if I don't bf him first.

Lynzjam Tue 07-Jun-11 15:41:23

Bump! (Hopefully in time you will have one!) wink

AngelDog Tue 07-Jun-11 22:45:50

grin

z123 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:34:26

Hi,
I'm also dying to concieve #2, while still bf DD at night and in morning, plus if she wakes up in the night. I suddenly dropped day feeding as she didn't seem interested and kept breaking off, every time, and I was getting such sore nipples!! I had a period 2.5 weeks later so that seemed to do something.... but nothing since.

I don't understand all the abbreviations on here- what's AF? and a luteal phase? Sorry, i'm not the brightest...

What can I do to increase my chances of getting pg?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now