Talk

Advanced search

BOOK CLUB IS BACK: vote for October's book of the month

(28 Posts)
TillyBookClub Mon 21-Sep-09 18:59:20

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Mon 21-Sep-09 21:27:00

Hmm tricky, they all sounds good. I wonder which is the easiest most interesting....

LauraIngallsWilder Mon 21-Sep-09 21:52:44

I am the solitary voter for the AS Byatt one

I feel I am aloooooone

I am dubious that any of those will be available at our local library, stuck in a timewarp as it is

FitOfBun Mon 21-Sep-09 23:09:26

I fancy Sarah Waters' one- I've read some others of hers and enjoyed them.

Oh shit, no I haven't. The graphics got me mixed up with Kate Atkinson blush

Oh well, maybe it's good anyway grin

notyummy Tue 22-Sep-09 08:23:34

Is the sarah Waters one out in paperback yet. I say this because my library are unable to get it for me in time - and I am far to tight to pay for a hardback!!

I want to vote for it - but not if it is hardback only...

<tight git emoticon>

NaptimeRocks Tue 22-Sep-09 18:32:20

Laura - I have voted for that, too!!

TillyBookClub Wed 23-Sep-09 11:12:14

The Little Stranger is sadly still only in hardback, but Amazon is selling it for £8.49 and free delivery if that helps....I think that's the cheapest deal I've found.

If anyone is deliberating and wants more background on the authors/titles, the Booker website has interviews and audio extracts to give you a taster...

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 23-Sep-09 11:45:54

Ooh I'd like to join in please.

The Sarah Waters one is one like I would normally pick up so I am being contrary and voting for the Simon Mawer one. I find A S Byatt a bit hard going (skipped all the la-di-da poetry bits in Possession to see if they got off with each other) and I have read the J M Coetzee one already. I like Hilary Mantell too (really enjoyed Fludd).

Think libraries can get books from other more "trendy" areas Laura.....

Harimosmummy Wed 23-Sep-09 20:35:51

i'd like to join too please... like the sound of wolf hall, personally.

'scuse the lack of punctuation... am typing 1 handed with DD here!

floaty Wed 23-Sep-09 20:59:58

Hello,can i join in as well?

duckyfuzz Wed 23-Sep-09 21:06:35

would love to join in too and have just found all 6 of the shortlist at bookpeople if anyone wants them all

lovechoc Wed 23-Sep-09 21:22:07

I've voted, like the sound of Wolf Hall...may have something to do with the Tudors series three being on TV just now....

poppy34 Thu 24-Sep-09 09:29:52

Am reading wolf hall and it's amazingly gripping

TillyBookClub Thu 24-Sep-09 11:35:42

Everyone welcome to join, the more the merrier.

Those Tudors do seem to be EVERYWHERE, you can't move for rook pie celebrity dinners or Jonathan Rhys Whatshisface looking sweaty in ermine.

YouLukaStunning Thu 24-Sep-09 17:50:17

I voted the other day and look forward to hearing which one it will be

swift220 Thu 24-Sep-09 21:11:27

I would love to join..

sayanything Thu 24-Sep-09 23:35:06

I'd love to join if you'll have me. I've voted for Wolf Hall, although I think I fancied the A S Byatt book most - but I'm a huge fan of hers, so I'll read the book anyway, whereas the Hilary Mantel book is not something I'd normally pick up. Not a big fan of Sarah Waters, though and I find J M Coetzee really tough going.

tvaerialmagpiebin Fri 25-Sep-09 19:18:16

Picked up the Sarah Waters one in the library yesterday and couldn't put it down. Was up til midnight having to finish it (and shut all the doors tight and slept with the light on)

It was really good.

YouLukaStunning Fri 25-Sep-09 19:25:22

It's a great read isn't it Lankyalto? I followed it up with Affinity which I loved too

moonshine Fri 25-Sep-09 20:06:12

thebookpeople are doing all six shortlisted books for £35 if you can't make up your mind....

HidingFromTheDM Sat 26-Sep-09 08:38:53

I've voted for Wolf Hall although it looks as though it's going to be The Little Stranger. Will wait and see....

pluto Sat 26-Sep-09 14:17:16

Pleeeease let it be The Little Stranger - I'm new to this book group and I've already bought it in anticipation. But I think it's a good Booker shortlist this year and I'd happily read them all.

TillyBookClub Mon 28-Sep-09 12:50:29

The Little Stranger is currently just 4 votes ahead of Wolf Hall...and we have 11 hours left till the poll closes. Time to get your friends to exercise their voting muscle.

We'll announce the winner tomorrow morning.

TillyBookClub Tue 29-Sep-09 10:05:17

And the result is... The Little Stranger nailed it, with just 2 votes more than Wolf Hall.

We'll meet up on here to discuss on Tue 20 October, 8pm to 9.30pm - hope you can all make it.

I'll do my best to get an author chat/Q&A, will keep you posted.

terri3 Tue 29-Sep-09 10:48:48

hi would love to join you all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now