Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

advice nice places to live in essex?

(6 Posts)
flopseyR72 Wed 10-Feb-16 16:16:09

dear all, I have a permeant job in romford hospital. I am looking for nice places to settle near by (within 30 min drive). I have a 6 month daughter so hoping somewhere nice for her to grow up and go to school. Was thinking of somewhere green. Hoping for a three bedroom place. I have a budget of around 550 - 650 K. Was thinking Chigwell/epping/brentwood/ongar. Any advice? Thanks.

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 10-Feb-16 16:21:42

Gidea Park is a stones throw from Queen's Hospital and has the benefit of being pretty and green but with access to the city via good train links and the upcoming Crossrail Project.

£650k could buy you something like this www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52915381.html

flopseyR72 Wed 10-Feb-16 16:35:23

thanks. Nice house. I think I was thinking somewhere a bit more rural with a small town centre. I think on the map Gidea park looks like a suburb of romford town?

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 10-Feb-16 16:48:12

It is a smaller suburb of Romford yes, although has its own high street kind of area with some shops and a few pubs.

Not familiar with more rural parts of Essex so you'll have to wait for another poster. I do know Brentwood and Ongar but personally think both are overpriced and not very nice but certainly are more rural.

flopseyR72 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:07:57

Thanks why do you think Brentwood and ongar are not nice? Anything I should know?

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 10-Feb-16 18:33:09

Personally I think the lack of decent transport links and lack of access to the city are a downside. Brentwood has also really suffered due to its TOWIE connection IMO- it's very rowdy and drunken on Saturdays even in the day times in places in the town centre. It used to be quite nice with nice shops and a generally pleasant villagey feel but it's gone a bit low rent in recent years.

Ongar is just not very well served by shops, transport etc.

Billericay is actually quite nice with a pleasant high street, and has rural areas although suffers in terms of schools because of its proximity to Basildon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now