Talk

Advanced search

Deodorant for an 8 year old??

(7 Posts)
fartmeistergeneral Fri 02-Oct-09 14:00:26

My ds is 8 and bizarrely has BO. He's a very active child who rarely sits still, and I've noticed in the past month or so that when he walks past me there is a very definite smell of BO. My other son who is 11 doesn't smell at all.

Yesterday I went into his room just after he'd got changed out of his school uniform and the whole room smelled!

He showers thoroughly every second night, I guess I could increase that to every night (gulp) but does this seem normal? Obviously I don't want to give him deodorant at this age, can't be good surely, and even my 11 year old doesn't need it yet.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Fri 02-Oct-09 14:07:12

My dd, 8yo, has started with whiffy armpits in the last year. Like your ds, she is very active, after dancing class she sometimes smells quite strong.
I haven't resorted to deoderant yet, so would be interested to see replies wrt that.
However, she bathes every night and has a good wash each morning, so it's not really a problem. I would say nightly showers are essential, that should be your first priority, rather than masking the smell with deoderant.

ILYM Fri 02-Oct-09 14:08:44

My dd needed deo early, do not see any probs with 8 being too young - better to use it than get teased at school for smelling.
Prb hormones kicking in early

Lio Fri 02-Oct-09 14:13:03

Def seen this on MN before for an 8yo so you are not alone. I remember the brand 'Tom's of Maine' being recommended. Deoderant rather than anti-persipirant.

meltedmarsbars Fri 02-Oct-09 14:15:24

The smell is from the bacteria not the sweat: he probably needs to wash and change clothes more often before resorting to deodorant.

Mine also bath/shower alternate days blush

purpleduck Fri 02-Oct-09 14:23:03

Maybe use a deodorant crystal after his shower? I used to find it worked very well

fartmeistergeneral Fri 02-Oct-09 14:25:23

His clothes are always clean (honest!!) and I've noticed even if he showers one night, by the end of the following day he can sometimes be a bit whiffy.

I know it sounds lame, but it's such an effort to even get the two of them to shower every SECOND night!! The idea of doing it every night.....am soo lazy obviously! However, I guess I'd rather do that than give him deodorant. He's totally unaware of the smell any way, don't want to give him a complex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now