23 month old says away to me and pushes me away hard

(10 Posts)
bumbly Thu 18-Jun-09 20:04:46

when daddy or grandma/grandpa around

i cant ever join in

is this normal for a toddling toddler?

only plays with one adult!!!

mrsruffallo Thu 18-Jun-09 21:31:08

Sounds normal to me. My son doesn't want me when DH is around.

shhhh Thu 18-Jun-09 22:23:00

don't take offence, at this age they don't realise how they are and that it upsets you...

Ds gets to me by saying "leave me alone" if I go to hug him at times or to change his bum etc.. Just hearing him saying it breaks my heart..as though he really wants me to leave him alone.sad

I just hug/kiss him anyway, makes me feel better anyway and usually brings him around..smile

piscesmoon Thu 18-Jun-09 22:29:32

Normal-just take no notice.

daisy99divine Thu 18-Jun-09 22:31:25

totally normal. when there is nobody more exciting around, he'll still come running grin
comfort yourself, at 3am when he feels tired and vulnerable, it'll be you who has the joy of being woken up!

shhhh Thu 18-Jun-09 22:36:25

thats a lovely thought and thing to remember daisy999..smile.

I like that...its their mum/dad who they want when ill, hurt,upset,tired. Very true.smile

daisy99divine Fri 19-Jun-09 00:12:41

exactly shhh. I try to remember that my DS is not being rude to me when he says "go away" he's saying "I feel confident and i'm having fun and I can manage without you for now" smile
with that attitude you can have a cuppa and enjoy the gps (or whoever) have some playtime

DidEinsteinsMum Fri 19-Jun-09 00:30:07

I am guessing you are the main person there to pick up the pieces for him and am always there. Daddy, grandparents are only there in little bits and are a novalty to be valued at the time. But if there is something wrong it will be you he goes to. see it as a opportunity to sneak away into a corner and have a sneaky 5mins for you (coffee, paper, toilet on own whatever)

Eveiebaby Fri 19-Jun-09 21:47:11

DD age 3 does it all the time not to me though but she does it to her dad and other people!

woodstock3 Sat 20-Jun-09 19:32:32

dh works away from home all week and the minute he appears over the horizon i get "no mummy, no mummy playing" and howling for daddy. while daddy is away i am graciously permitted to attend to ds's every need however grin. dh says when im not there it is, of course, all about mummy. dont take offence is totally normal i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now