Talk

Advanced search

Bearing weight on legs - when?

(10 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Sun 05-Oct-08 16:46:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meandmyjoe Sun 05-Oct-08 17:18:50

They are all different. No set dates of when they will do it. There is a little boy at my mum and toddler group who doesn't weightbare and he's 13 months. She's been assured that everything is fine and he'll most likely do it when he's ready.

I think my ds could do it when propped up at around 7.5 months but he toppled loads. He walked just before his birthday and is fine. i wouldn't worry at all.

nellieellie Sun 05-Oct-08 17:36:22

Blimey - sounds like your HV must have arrived in the 21st century via the tardis. Anyway, my DS (now 3 didn't weight bear until 10mths - and my DD - now 14 mths only started to do so around 12 - 13 mths. She still does not cruise and nowhere near walking. She had her hips checked as the HV thought was a little late (also did not crawl till over 12mths), and the consultant (an orthapaedic surgeon with paediatric speciality) said that weight bearing can occur normally anywhere between 8 - 18 mths or poss 16 - can't remember -. DD was xrayed and is normal - just a little later than others doing things.
Actually, if she is giving advice like that about weaning I'd be tempted to make a formal complaint. The official Dept of Health (or whatever it is now)position is 6mths before solids - as you no doubt know. Weaning too early is linked to later food intolerances and allergies.
Good luck with your check up. The things we have to go through!

ILikeYourSleeves Sun 05-Oct-08 20:13:57

My DS is 11 months and doesn't weight bear. He did ages ago for a wee while but then stopped and now goes all floppy when I try to get him to stand. I asked my HV (who I really like BTW) at my last appt and she said as long as he's sitting well by 10 months they don't get too worried and he will get there eventually. So I am (trying!) not to get too worried

8 months is fine IMO not to be weight bearing, she will get there eventually!

jeanjeannie Sun 05-Oct-08 20:49:55

Oh lordy - I'm sure some HVs are just nowt but a menace! Some of the ones I've met shouldn't be let loose on parents and babies....especially BF babies as that seems to confound the life out of them!

FWIW my DD1 bore no weight on her legs until she was almost one and only walked at 20mths. She's soon caught up and in the 3.5 months she's been upright she's already running and starting to jump.

DD2 is just 4 months old and can stand - it looks bloomin freaky grin

TarkaLiotta Sun 05-Oct-08 23:43:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aitch Sun 05-Oct-08 23:59:23

<applauds tarka's BRILLIANT name>

i was talking about this to a developmental doc the other week, she was saying that people get their knickers in a twist about weight bearing cos they think it's got something to do with walking, when core strength is what shoudl be being built. but you can't see that, so dim parents and dimmer hvs just look at the legs.

colander Mon 06-Oct-08 00:07:26

DD1 didn't bear weight for her 8 months check either, although the HV held her on her lap and pretended she had so she could tick the box on the form shock. She didn't really weight bear until about 13 months, walked at 19 months and is now nearly 6 yo - no problems at all with walking.

If you are concerned, then of course see a dr, but I think it is too early to worry.

CalmCalmCalm Wed 08-Oct-08 19:46:39

DD1 couldn't bear weight on her legs until just before she started walking (probably the month/3 weeks before) at 11 months.

DD2 started standing with very little support at 6 months. So yes, they are all different.

jollydo Wed 08-Oct-08 23:58:53

I'm very thankful for my laid-back HV! I asked her about ds1 when he couldn't weight bear at 11 months and she said "Oh, see what he's doing in another month.." and sure enough about a month later he started to weight bear. Once he could do it there was no stopping him. You're right, so repeat your mantra - it's one of my favourites too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: