Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not talking at nursery

(10 Posts)
sweks Sat 04-Oct-08 20:33:10

hello,
just wondered if anyone could shed any light why my daughter (2and a half) has stopped talking to anyone at nursery.

I have just had another baby who is now 10 weeks, and the nursery staff did say she stopped talking about 8 weeks ago. I have asked her if she likes nursery and she says she does.
I just don't understand why she is doing this! Any help is much appreciated

FanjolinaJolly Sat 04-Oct-08 20:36:47

I think you have answered your own question

New baby.

They get used to it after a few months.

(I have a 2 year age gap between mine,ds was quite challenging shall we say when dd first arrived)

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:44:30

sweks - have been through this myself recently though DD is not yet 2. She suddenly refused to talk, eat, hold a cup, and just wanted to be carried everywhere. It passed in a month or so.

Can you possibly spend any time alone with just her, I found this really helped. We explained: 'DS is only a tiny baby so he can't do this [fun thing] with mummy'. We also get her to 'help' with the baby (fetching nappies etc, singing to him) and that's helped a lot.

hercules1 Sat 04-Oct-08 20:46:57

Did it really take them 8 weeks to tell you she'd stopped talking?

SlartyBartFast Sat 04-Oct-08 20:49:17

mine didnt either, are you sure it isnt a form of attention seeking. she sure got a lot of attention for not talking. she admitted it was a game wink

sweks Sat 04-Oct-08 20:53:42

Thanks ...You are right, but I feel sad for her, that she feels so strongly that she doesn't want to talk.
I hope it does improve

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:55:21

It will promise

I felt dreadful all the way through my pregnancy that I was 'abandoning' my DD by having DS. Still do a bit. She had 100% of me and now she doesn't and that makes us both a bit sad, but we are learning new ways and it does get better.

sweks Sat 04-Oct-08 20:56:16

hercules1 ... YES! 8 weeks is what they said, I wasn't happy!angry

hercules1 Sat 04-Oct-08 20:57:24

That's bloody awful that she stopped talking there 8 weeks ago and they've only just told you. I'd expect to have been told after one day angry

sweks Sat 04-Oct-08 21:03:24

I know, that was naughty of them. I know she is a naturally 'shy' toddler, and quiteness may have gone unnoticed, but they should have let me know sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now