Talk

Advanced search

6 wk old DS has horrible colic and a huge tummy what to do?

(6 Posts)
SilverSixpence Tue 26-Aug-08 16:47:47

DS is a lovely baby, and getting nice and fat (he is exclusively breastfed). Over the past 2 or 3 weeks he has been much less settled, before this he was having a good 3 hour sleep morning and afternoon. He still sleeps well at night with a long stretch from midnight to 4am and then a feed and sleeps again til 7.

The last day or two he has been crying a lot during the day, completely inconsolably. His tummy gets incredibly swollen and hard. No amount of winding seems to help - he does get a good burp out after feeds but even this isn't enough

I'm going to get some infacol to try that but is there anything else i can do?

MrsDougRoss Tue 26-Aug-08 16:50:59

I found putting gripe water in the bottle helped. Or even some gripe water in cooled boiled water.

megcleary Tue 26-Aug-08 16:51:39

rubbibg adbomen clockwise may help

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 26-Aug-08 16:52:24

I found mild cammomile tea a God send as DD has the same wind problems. I literally felt the bubbles popping in her tummy after she drank a couple of oz. I realise this is not for everyone but it worked wonders for me. x

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 16:58:21

Dentinox worked for my DS. He couldn't handle gripe water, it made him very sick. Unlike infacol, you can give dentinox as required after a feed instead of having to give it before every feed.

We found infacol was good for a day or two but then it stopped working.

ombmum Tue 26-Aug-08 17:52:31

My son had really bad colic - and I was breastfeeding. Tried everything but the oly thing that worked was Colief - can get from most pharmacies, including Boots. Is expensive - £10 for small bottle but so worth it. You do need to mix it with milk, but I just expressed into a bottle and gave him the drops mixed in 1oz of milk which was fine. Gave the feed before he was bad and before each one where I knew he was bad. Worked within 2-3 days.
Whatever you do make sure you try for at least 3 days as it can take a while to get inot their system and there is no miracle cure. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now