Talk

Advanced search

first words?

(13 Posts)
nolongerchunkybutstillapudding Fri 08-Aug-08 12:08:12

reading another thread in this section has got me wondering when your lo's started saying any truly recognisable words, and what they were?

i know what the books say, and i have no worries about my ds's development, just interested in everyone's experiences!

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 08-Aug-08 14:42:15

Both mine said their first words at about 9-10 months (and didn't walk till well over a year)

My dd's first word was 'more' grin

Ds' was probably some animal noise e. 'woof', 'moo'. He still loves animals at age 6yrs.

Bumdiddley Fri 08-Aug-08 14:53:00

dd was 18 months and said 'no'. Didn't really start talking til 2.

ds is 23 months and will say dada when prompted and woof...

Dd was referred to speech therapist, cue guilt etc. Not going to worry about ds til he's 3.

Both walked at 9/ 10 months.

As my old mum says 'They're either walkers or talkers' smile

wearymum200 Fri 08-Aug-08 15:01:30

Ds started at about 9-10 months. Bus, more, water no. Didn't get "yes" till 6 months later! Long before he walked. Niece was a walker not a talker early, both normal.

noonki Fri 08-Aug-08 15:05:48

DS1 - jack (dss name)
DS2 - quack his second word was thereyougo which I think I say 100 times a day!

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:21:13

I completely agree about the 'walkers or talkers'. Although always some who do both really early or a bit late but still in 'normal limits'.

EustaciaVye Fri 08-Aug-08 21:25:54

Both of mine were Dada and then Cat

barnsleybelle Fri 08-Aug-08 21:27:41

i agree with walkers or talkers. My ds didn't walk til 18 months but spoke clearly from early on.

dd is 11 months, only just sitting up, not standing crawling, rolling etc but is saying quite a lot of words very clearly.

constancereader Fri 08-Aug-08 21:28:58

tractor and digger, at 19 months.

TotalChaos Fri 08-Aug-08 21:29:14

I don't agree with walkers or talkers. DS didn't start either till he was 15 months (and has ended up with speech/language delay but that's a separate issue...)

squeaver Fri 08-Aug-08 21:30:17

dd didn't walk until 16 months but was saying "daddy" at 9 months.

ChukkyPig Fri 08-Aug-08 21:42:38

I'm in the walkers/talkers camp. I was a walker and my bro a talker. My DD takes after me so far. Walking properly a couple of weeks before she turned one but says nothing recognisable at all, and doesn't even try. Not going to worry for a couple of years yet!

Got a bit of a shocker though when on hol recently with another baby the same age, who was saying mama, dada, no and a few other things. But he wasn't really independently mobile, just sitting and the occasional bottom shuffle, while my DD was wandering around with the toddlers.

They're all different and not to worry IMO.

FeelingLucky Fri 08-Aug-08 21:45:35

DD has only just started saying recognisable words in past few weeks. she is 14 months and brought up tri-lingual

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now