Talk

Advanced search

How many naps/hours sleep should an 8 week old baby have during the day?

(7 Posts)
RebeccaP Thu 31-Jul-08 20:22:12

My DD is 8 weeks old and I'm trying to establish regular naps in the day (She's sleeping well at night and only wakes up once between 7pm and 7am). Should she be having 3 naps or just one in the morning and one in the afternoon? Also, how long roughly should each nap be? I know all babies are different, but I'm a bit clueless as to how many hours sleep she should be getting in the day.

helskels Thu 31-Jul-08 20:47:28

Hi There
You are very lucky to have a good sleeper at night.

If it were me i don't think i would worry to much.Whether anyone in the medical profession would agree is another matter.

kwaker5 Thu 31-Jul-08 20:48:27

My ds did 3x1.5 hour naps (awake about 1.5 hours in between) plus a catnap at about 5pm for 45 mins.

This might help

All sorts of things put them off a rhythm at this age though!

Zil131 Thu 31-Jul-08 20:50:29

To be honest, at 8 weeks I still found it a bit early for rouine, things keep changing so fast... Just when you think you have them pegged, they go and change the rules!
I think DS had around 3 naps, and could go 3-4 hours some afternoons, just go with the flow, she knows what she needs.

tassisssss Thu 31-Jul-08 20:58:26

Today my 8 week old was woken at 9.20am as we were heading out. Was asleep again by 10.30am, she woke around 12ish and fell asleep before 1pm, slept till about 3pm, had a 20 min nap in friend's arms around 4.15pm, then slept from 5.15pm till 6.15pm. Down for the night before 8pm.

My older 2 slept a lot less than this - a short nap in the morning, a longer one (sometimes) over lunch and a catnap at about 4pm.

Enjoy her, sounds like she's doing great!

domesticslattern Thu 31-Jul-08 20:58:40

It is probably up to you whether you go for routine or not. At 8 weeks we didn't have set nap times at all. If she got grizzly and it was more than 2.5 hours since she had woken up, I used to put her in the sling or little reclining chair for a kip. Some days she would sleep a lot, some not much, depending on what was going on around her. I guess I aimed for at least 3 hours total of daytime sleeps- but then we didn't start bedtime until about 11pm!

elmoandella Thu 31-Jul-08 20:59:43

8 weeks is still early. but with my 2 i aimed for

0.5-1 hours at 9am
2-3 hours can start anywhere between 11am-1pm.
0.5hr in afternoon. no later than 5pm.

this fitted in with 7-7 night sleep. waking at 10pm for dream feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now